- 4 cups of curly kale, torn into bite size pieces (about 2 leaves)
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 4 slices of sourdough bread, stale or toasted until crunchy
- 4 whole garlic cloves
- 2 cups roughly chopped cauliflower florets (1/2 of a head)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup hulled hemp hearts
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 tablespoon pasture raised butter (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded pasture raised Parmesan (optional)
- Fresh thyme, to garnish
- Red pepper flakes, to garnish
- Avocado oil and salt, to cook
- 2 servings pasta of choice
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and drizzle it with avocado oil. Add kale and cook it until brown, tossing a few times. Remove from heat and toss the kale with a generous pinch of salt and coconut sugar. This will burn the second it hits the pan, just keep tossing the kale to coat it. Transfer the kale to a plate and wipe out the pan.
- Follow the instructions on your pasta package and cook in well salted water until just before al dente. Drain the pasta while they’re still firm and reserve some of the pasta water for the Alfredo sauce.
- Place the torn bread into a blender or food processor with whole garlic cloves and pulse until crumby. Place the pan over medium heat and drizzle avocado oil onto it. Add the breadcrumbs with a pinch of salt. Toast them, stirring constantly, until golden. Transfer to a plate and wipe out the pan.
- Drizzle avocado oil in the pan and place it over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower, onion, and a generous pinch of salt. Cook for at least 15 minutes, until deep brown in color. Add a splash of water every time brown bits get stuck to pan.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the caramelized cauliflower and onions with hemp hearts and 1/2 cup water to create a sauce. Add salt to taste and more water as needed. Once it’s reached a thick consistency, put the sauce back in the pan over low heat. Stir in the butter and parmesan cheese to make it super decadent, if using. Then, toss in the cooked pasta and just enough pasta water to create a silky sauce.
- Add the garlicky breadcrumbs and burnt sugar crispy kale on top of the pasta. Garnish it with red pepper flakes and fresh thyme leaves. Serve and enjoy!