- 4 tablespoons grass-fed butter or ghee
- 1 large apple, cored and thin-sliced (I used Honeycrisp)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt + a pinch
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill paleo flour (can sub 2/3 cup almond flour + 2 tablespoons arrowroot)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a 10 inch cast iron pan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the apple slices, 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar, a pinch of fine grain salt, a teaspoon of vanilla, and the ground cinnamon. Cook until apples are beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to spread the apples in an even layer at the bottom of the pan and remove from heat.
- Blend the eggs, coconut milk, flour, 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar, 2 teaspoons of vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt until very smooth. Pour over apples and place the whole pan in the oven.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes, until the edges are brown but not burnt. Remove and serve immediately.