- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup raw, chopped walnuts
- 1 medium yellow onion
- A generous pinch of fine grain sea salt
- 3 cups fresh or frozen broccoli (I like to use frozen because the nutrients in broccoli degrade quickly while its in transit)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 4 small cloves of garlic, peeled with the woody end chopped off
- 2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Shaved parmesan (optional)
- In a medium pot, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the walnuts, onion, and salt and saute until they’re golden brown.
- Add the broccoli and the stock. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook until the broccoli is fork tender, about 5 minutes (longer with frozen broccoli).
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly before transferring to a blender (alternatively, you could blend in the pot with an immersion blender).
- Add the garlic, basil, and lemon juice and blend until smooth.
- Add additional salt to taste, and top with fresh ground black pepper, parmesan if desired, extra basil or walnuts, and a drizzle of olive oil.