Makes 8 slices of pizza or two personal pizzas
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp hearts
- 2 cups packed basil, plus more for topping
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4–1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Generous pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 box of your favorite pizza dough mix
- 1 small clam shell of fresh blackberries, sliced in half
- Make the pizza dough by following the instructions on your favorite pizza dough mix box (I used Simple Mills brand, which makes 2 8″ pizzas). Form the dough into two, equally sized balls and then roll it out into your pizza crusts. Bake according to your package instructions until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, toast the walnuts for the pesto. Place a large skillet over medium heat and gently toast the walnuts until fragrant and golden, about two to three minutes.
- Add the toasted walnuts to a food processor with the hemp hearts, basil, garlic, honey, lemon, salt, and black pepper. Drizzle in the olive oil a bit at a time while the food processor is running to create a leafy paste.
- Evenly distribute the pesto on top of the pizza crusts and spread until covering the whole base of the pizzas. Add shredded cheese (if using) and sliced blackberries. Return the pizzas to the oven until the cheese bubbles.
- Top the pizzas with torn basil leaves and a pinch of fresh ground black pepper.
- Cut each pizza into four slices and serve!