- 1.5 cups white rice, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups of water
- Fine grain sea salt
- 2 tablespoon ground harissa, divided (taste yours to see how spicy it is and use a bit less if it’s quite spicy!)
- 1 13.5 ounces can chickpeas, rinsed and drained and patted dry
- 4 carrots, cubed
- 2 cups fresh herbs, roughly torn or chopped (mint, cilantro, and flat-leaf parsley all work well, mix them or do all of one!)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Combine rice, water, a generous amount of salt, and 1 tablespoon harissa in a medium pot.
- Bring to boil, stir well, reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook for 20 min, turn the heat off and leave the lid on, and let sit for 10 more min. Fluff with a fork.
- Warm a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high in the largest skillet you have (more space = crispier chickpeas).
- Add carrots and a generous amount of salt. Cook until carrots are brown; transfer to plate.
- Return the pan to the heat, add a bit more olive oil if necessary, and add chickpeas. When chickpeas are just golden, add 1 tablespoon harissa powder and cook for 2 more minutes, until harissa is fragrant but not burned.
- Top rice with chickpeas, carrots, lime juice & fresh herbs.
Keywords: super herby harissa-spiced crispy chickpea rice, crispy chickpea rice