Healthy doesn’t mean boring, We do not tolerate boring food ?. This Super Herby Harissa-Spiced Crispy Chickpea Rice definitely is a mouthful—both in the name and recipe itself.
Harissa, a Tunisian condiment that’s gained widespread global popularity in recent years, is the star ingredient in this recipe. While traditionally it comes in paste form, I prefer to keep a powdered harissa spice blend around. It keeps at room temp for ages, and you can use it powdered, like I do in this recipe, or mix it with a little olive oil to make a paste.
Harissa is great for you in so many ways.
Harissa can take on so many different flavor profiles; from smoky to sharp and tangy to thick and pasty, depending on what it’s combined with. Don’t we all love a super versatile ingredient? Since we’re using fresh lime juice in this recipe, it’s going to take on more of a aromatic and tangy flavor.
While Harissa has many benefits, like being packed with vitamins and minerals, the main benefit comes from capsaicin, the compound in chilis that makes them spicy. Capsaicin is the phytochemical responsible for the spiciness of peppers (yum!). This ingredient is linked to many health benefits, including speeding up your metabolism, improvement of heart health, and an overall decrease in inflammation.
Herbs, herbs, and more herbs. Oh, and spices!
Herbs and spices together are truly a magical combination. Both help to fight inflammation. Each one is super rich in phytochemicals. Phytochemicals are literally plant chemicals that contribute to their color, taste, and smell. This is where the term eating a rainbow comes from!
This dish calls for two cups of fresh herbs, anything from mint to cilantro to flat-leaf parsley will work well and “spice” up the health benefits of this Super Herby Harissa-Spiced Crispy Chickpea Rice.
If you develop a newfound love for harissa with this recipe, you need to check out my Pomegranate, Mint, and Farro Moroccan Salad with Harissa Dressing.
Enjoy, and tag me if you make it on Instagram (@lizmoody)—I can’t wait to see!Print
- 1.5 cups white rice, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups of water
- Fine grain sea salt
- 2 tablespoon ground harissa, divided (taste yours to see how spicy it is and use a bit less if it’s quite spicy!)
- 1 13.5 ounces can chickpeas, rinsed and drained and patted dry
- 4 carrots, cubed
- 2 cups fresh herbs, roughly torn or chopped (mint, cilantro, and flat-leaf parsley all work well, mix them or do all of one!)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Combine rice, water, a generous amount of salt, and 1 tablespoon harissa in a medium pot.
- Bring to boil, stir well, reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook for 20 min, turn the heat off and leave the lid on, and let sit for 10 more min. Fluff with a fork.
- Warm a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high in the largest skillet you have (more space = crispier chickpeas).
- Add carrots and a generous amount of salt. Cook until carrots are brown; transfer to plate.
- Return the pan to the heat, add a bit more olive oil if necessary, and add chickpeas. When chickpeas are just golden, add 1 tablespoon harissa powder and cook for 2 more minutes, until harissa is fragrant but not burned.
- Top rice with chickpeas, carrots, lime juice & fresh herbs.
Keywords: super herby harissa-spiced crispy chickpea rice, crispy chickpea rice