- 3/4 cup packed cilantro (only removed the woodiest of stems; most cilantro stems taste amazing)
- 3/4 cup packed basil, stems removed
- 1/3 cup toasted sesame oil
- 3/4 cup raw cashews (+more to garnish, if desired)
- 1 1″ piece of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp chili oil (+ more to garnish, if desired)
- 2 red chili peppers, finely chopped (optional, for garnish)
- 2 servings buckwheat noodles, prepared according to package directions
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, toast the cashews, tossing occasionally, until light brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Pulse together all ingredients, save for buckwheat noodles, until well combined and mostly smooth. Toss with buckwheat noodles, then garnish with chili oil, chopped chili peppers, and crumbled cashews, if desired. Serves 2.
The pesto can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge for 4 days. Toss with noodles just before serving, as buckwheat lacks the gluten necessary to hold its shape over long periods of time and can get mushy if saved in the fridge.