Hallooooooweeeen! It’s a’coming! If you can’t tell from my site, I’m a sweets addict, making Halloween, in the words of one Charles Dickens, both the best of times and the worst of times. Best because – candy!! Worst because I have almost no self-control. When I was younger, this manifested in my stuffing my face with Sweet Tarts and Hershey’s until I felt bloated and nauseous. Now, the idea of eating traditional, artificial color and flavor-laden candy vaguely sickens me, so I’ve made it a priority to find other ways to satiate my sweet tooth. To that effect, I teamed up with the lovely Brittany of the amazing blog Eating Bird Food to bring you TWO amazing healthy Halloween candy recipes.
- 15 Medjool dates
- 3 Tablespoons coconut butter (homemade or store bought)
- 1 cup Enjoy Life vegan mini chocolate chips or chocolate chips of choice
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Course sea salt
- Slice each date down the center, remove the pit, spoon 1/2 teaspoon coconut butter into the center and close the date back up.
- Melt chocolate by adding chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute in the microwave. The chocolate chips should be almost completely melted at this point. Stir the mixture together until all the chips have melted down. (The heating process can also be done on the stove if you prefer.)
- Dip each coconut butter stuffed date into the chocolate and roll it until all the edges are covered. Place on a piece of parchment paper. Continue until all dates have been covered.
- Sprinkle a little sea salt on top of the chocolate and place dates in the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes to allow the chocolate to set. Remove from the fridge and serve. Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.