One of my go-to healthy dinners is taking whatever vegetables I have in my fridge or freezer and turning them into a taco. But lately, I’ve been really into burritos—especially the make-ahead kind, like these Curry-Spiced Cauliflower Chickpea Freezer Burritos. (But speaking of tacos, I really recommend these immune-boosting, vegan ones.)
Just like my healthy black bean and sweet potato burritos and healthy breakfast burritos, you can make these curry-spiced burritos ahead of time and store them in your freezer for later. But that’s not even the best part…
The spices, which are based on the combinations used in Indian curries, are what really make these burritos obsession-worthy—you won’t believe how much flavor is in every bite.
Chop your cilantro
Don’t skip the cilantro in this recipe (unless, of course, you’re one of those people who absolutely hates cilantro), but make sure to chop it pretty fine. It lets you get that bright fresh green flavor without having the greens get water-logged or have a weird texture from the freezer.
Storing & reheating tips
After making your Cauliflower Chickpea Freezer Burritos, you just roll each one individually in foil. Whenever you’re in the mood, simply grab one out of the freezer and heat it either in the oven or microwave. Here’s how:
In the oven: keep the burrito in the foil and heat it at 350 degrees Farenheit for 20 minutes, or until warmed through.
In the microwave: remove the foil and microwave it in a damp paper towel in 30-second increments until warmed through.
Watch them being made!
Enjoy, and tag me if you make it on Instagram (@lizmoody)—I can’t wait to see!Print
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cauliflower, broken into small florets (about 4 cups if you use frozen, which is totally fine)
- 1 small sweet potato, cut into cubes (you can leave the skin on!)
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1.5 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1.5 teaspoons whole fennel seeds
- 1.5 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Avocado oil, to drizzle
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 4–5 burrito-sized tortillas of choice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Add all of the vegetables and spices to a large, parchment-lined pan with a drizzle of avocado oil. Toss to coat and spread out in a single layer.
- Bake until brown at edges, about 45 minutes, tossing once halfway through.
- Add more salt to taste, and toss with lime juice and cilantro. Add the filling to your tortillas, and roll (here’s a tutorial!).
- Wrap individually in foil and freeze until ready to eat, when you can either toss right in a toaster oven in the foil or unwrap and wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave in 30-second increments until warmed through. Makes 4-5 burritos, depending on the size of your tortilla!
Keywords: cauliflower chickpea freezer burritos