Basically, this is what would happen if fudgy brownies became cookies—or put another way, if you got to eat a whole plate of brownies and they were ALL the corner piece 🙌. These Fudgy Brownie Cookies are grain free, refined sugar free, and super friendly for your blood sugar. They can also be vegan, with the substitution of flax egg.
The center is super ooey gooey and the outside is crackly—they might be the best cookie I’ve ever created (sorry shoutout to my Best Healthy Cookie). And they’re made in one bowl!
You’re telling me eating cookies can be good for my blood sugar?
Yes, yes I am. Traditional cookie recipes can be too sweet and carb-heavy, spiking blood sugar levels. This combination also makes for leaving you hungry (and often hangry!), which is never good.
I am obsessed with using almond flour as a base for recipes. Because it’s high in protein and healthy fat, it keeps your blood sugar far more stable than traditional flours. Blood sugar spikes and dips are one of the most unhealthy parts of eating sweet treats—they have a cascading negative impact on hormones. The cacao offers further metabolic and anti-inflammatory benefits, and just makes these taste REALLY good.
Enjoy, and tag me if you make it on Instagram (@lizmoody)!Print
Grain-Free Fudgy Brownie Cookies (Refined Sugar Free, Dairy Free, Vegan Option)
- Yield: 16–18 Cookies 1x
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 3/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1.75 cups almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup cacao
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, preferably pasture-raised (or sub flax eggs)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Flaky sea salt, to top
- Preheat the over to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, in a double boiler or the microwave, melt together the avocado oil and dark chocolate.
- Mix in the almond flour, baking soda, cacao, coconut sugar, salt, vanilla, and baking soda.
- Stir in the eggs.
- When the batter is smooth, add the walnuts.
- Scoop into 16-18 cookies, top with flaky salt if using, and bake for 10-12 min.
- Let cool on the pan and then enjoy!
I like these ones a teensy bit under baked, so I bake them until they’re just set!
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: Grain-Free Fudgy Brownie Cookies, Fudgy Brownie Cookies
Hi Alli, I’m so glad you liked them!! Great call on subbing in coconut oil. Isn’t the brownie consistency amazing?! xo, Liz