My guest today is Dr. Anna Lembke, professor of psychiatry at Stanford University School of Medicine and chief of the Stanford Addiction Medicine Dual Diagnosis Clinic and author of the instant New York Times best seller Dopamine Nation: Finding Balance in the Age of Indulgence.On this episode, we talk about:
- what dopamine is and what it does in your body
- why you don’t necessarily want to raise your dopamine levels (despite what pop science leads you to believe)
- how the way our brain is wired is mismatched with the modern world (and how to fix it)
- why you can’t stop reaching for your phone (even when you’re supposedly doing something you like more)
- an easy hack to experience more pleasure in all of your daily experiences
- the surprising reason why rates of chronic pain, fibromyalgia, anxiety, depression are going up
- a science-backed way to overcome the initial hurdles of doing hard things that we know are good for us
- examples of high dopamine activities we want to lean away from and low dopamine activities we want to lean into more
- the neuro-scientific reason wealthier people are often MORE unhappy
- what a dopamine fast is and how to do it
Tag @lizmoody with any thoughts, feelings, or reactions as you’re listening, and show me changes you make based on the episode!
I would also SO appreciate it if you shared this episode or any favorite episodes with someone you love in your life!
PS: My Patreon is live! You can join Green Smoothie Society and get access to ALL of my green smoothie recipes and advice! Get all the deets at patreon.com/lizmoody.
This episode is sponsored by the Healthier Together Deck, which has 150 conversation starters in 6 categories! Find out more at htdeck.com—if you order today, you can get it in time for Valentine’s Day!
This episode is sponsored by AG1 by Athletic Greens. Visit athleticgreens.com/healthiertogether and get your FREE year supply of Vitamin D and 5 free travel packs today.
This episode is sponsored by Seed. You can get 15% off your first month’s supply of Seed’s DS-01™ Daily Synbiotic by going to https://seed.com/daily-synbiotic and using the code LIZMOODY.
This episode is sponsored by Paleovalley. Head over to paleovalley.com and use the code LIZM for 15% off.
This episode is sponsored by Dame. Head over to dameproducts.com and use code HEALTHIERTOGETHER at checkout for 20% off your purchase through January 31, and 15% off from then on.
Healthier Together cover art by Zack. Healthier Together music by Alex Ruimy.