I’m so excited to welcome Dr. Casey Means to the podcast. Casey is a Stanford-trained physician, the Chief Medical Officer and Co-founder of the hugely successful metabolic health company Levels, and an Associate Editor of the International Journal of Disease Reversal and Prevention. Casey spent years as a researcher and physician at Oregon Health and Science University and ultimately used her real world experience to help develop Levels in 2019. On this episode, we talk about:
- what your metabolism actually is and why the word “metabolism” needs a rebrand
- how to know if you’re experiencing metabolic dysfunction
- how your metabolic health is related to things like type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer’s, dementia, fatty liver disease, stroke, heart attack, depression, PCOS, anxiety, gout, infertility, erectile dysfunction, chronic pain, brain fog, cancer, and more (and exactly what to do about it)
- what insulin is + what it means to be insulin resistant
- how to hack your body to be more metabolically flexible
- how to know if you’re micronutrient deficient
- what’s actually happening in our bodies when we eat (+ how it changes depending on what the food is)
- the 5 key components of a metabolism-supporting meal
- the secret to making plant-based Omega-3s way more effective
- Dr. Means’ favorite superfood that you probably have never heard of
- why metabolic issues result in different diseases for different people
- specific metabolism tests you can ask your doctor for
- how stress impacts your metabolism
- the unexpected connection between trauma and metabolism
- the impact of cold plunging, saunas, meditation & more on metabolism
- the importance of optimizing your circadian rhythm for metabolic health
- how hormones play into metabolic health (especially as we age)
- how different phases of your period impact your metabolism
- the best type of exercise for blood sugar balance
- the truth about snacking (+ her healthy snack recommendations)
- and so much more!
We would LOVE to hear from you any thoughts, reactions, or takeaways you have as you’re listening, so definitely screenshot and tag me @lizmoody and Casey @drcaseyskitchen on Instagram.
To enter the giveaway for a chance to win a free Levels annual membership and 1-month CGM trial, follow me @lizmoody and Casey @drcaseyskitchen on Instagram and comment something you loved or learned from the episode!
For a limited time, Levels is offering my listeners an additional 2 free months of the Levels Membership when you use my link, levels.link/HEALTHIERTOGETHER.
To join the Healthier Together Podcast Club Facebook group, go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/healthiertogetherpodcast.
Stock up on Healthy Convo Co decks now for the holidays at healthyconvo.co!
This episode is sponsored by Seed. You can get 15% off your first month’s supply of Seed’s DS-01™ Daily Synbiotic by going to seed.com/daily-synbiotic and using the code LIZMOODY.
This episode is sponsored by AG1 by Athletic Greens. Visit athleticgreens.com/healthiertogether and get your FREE year supply of Vitamin D and 5 free travel packs today.
This episode is sponsored by Paleovalley. Head over to paleovalley.com and use the code LIZM for 15% off.
This episode is sponsored by Pique. Get 5% off plus a free blooming teas pouch complete with premium Pique samples when you purchase 2 or more cartons from piquetea.com/LIZMOODY and use code LIZMOODY.
This episode is sponsored by Organic Olivia. Use code MOODY10 at organicolivia.com for 10% off your first purchase.
Healthier Together cover art by Zack. Healthier Together music by Alex Ruimy.
I absolutely loved this episode. I also thought metabolism was just something you are suppose to “hijack” by drinking warm lemon water in the morning or [insert hyped diet trend here]. Thank you for all that you in getting this knowledge out there!