I’m excited to have on Jenné Claiborne, the founder of Sweet Potato Soul. Sweet Potato Soul is a crazy popular YouTube channel, a blog filled with the most DELICIOUS recipes, an Instagram community with over 300K members, AND one of my favorite plant-based cookbooks, Sweet Potato Soul: 100 Easy Vegan Recipes for the Southern Flavors of Smoke, Sugar, Spice, and Soul. On today’s episode, we chat about:
- The lessons she’s learned during the pandemic
- How she deals with her fears around money
- Her advice for helping with the divisiveness in politics, dietary preferences, and more
- Her thoughts on IIN and how to know how much to spend on your business when starting out
- Her motherhood journey, including her birth and how being a mom changed her relationship with her own mother
- How to find a good business coach
- The mistakes she made early in starting her business and how to avoid them
- Her secrets to making veggie-filled meals easier, more delicious, and less time consuming
- What type of nutrient she thinks is more important than protein and more often missing from the standard American diet
- How she gets her protein on a vegan diet
- Why she doesn’t drink coffee and what she does for energy instead
- Her struggles with anxiety, and what has helped
- The calming practice she’s relied on for more than a decade
- Her 37 hour labor and the practice that got her through it
- What she’d do if her daughter didn’t want to be a vegan
- How she recommends helping picky kids eat healthy
- The two things she thinks are missing in conversations about race in America
- Her secret to deep and lasting happiness
You can find Jenné on Instagram at @sweetpotatosoul, and we’d both love to hear your reactions to this episode, so please screenshot and write any thoughts or questions that come up as you’re listening and tag us both (I’m @lizmoody).
Today’s episode is sponsored by Atoka Herbal Blends. They have two types of drinks, herbal shots and herbal tonics, and they have amazing ingredients—they’re 100% plant-based and non-GMO. More importantly, they’re super FUNCTIONAL—every single ingredient serves a purpose. You can get 25% off your first order using the code AtokaLiz25 at atokawellness.com.
This episode is also sponsored by Garden of Life, one of my all-time favorite brands. I focused on stress-relieving products in this episode, including their Mood Plus probiotic, which is formulated specifically to help with stress and anxiety, and their magnesium chelate, which I take nightly to help avoid constipation and help alleviate anxiety.
Healthier Together cover art by Zack Mitchell. Healthier Together music by Alex Ruimy.