I am so excited to welcome Dr. Marisa G. Franco as today’s guest. Marisa is a professor, psychologist, and author of a new book, Platonic: How the Science of Attachment Can Help You Make—and Keep—Friends, which just came out this week. She’s been featured in media outlets like Good Morning America, The Today Show, The New York Times, and NPR and has spent her career studying the science and research behind friendship. On this episode we talk about:
- why it’s so hard to make friends as an adult
- the best trick for turning work friends into real friends
- simple tricks to make people like you more
- the best places to make new friends
- how to make friends outside of your own race, age, or socioeconomic background
- the single rule that will change how you approach making friends
- the best friend dates
- exactly how to have the conversations that deepen friendships (without feeling like you’re making all the effort)
- how to turn acquaintances into close friends
- how to make a BEST friend
- what to do if you feel like you keep getting rejected by potential friends
- the biggest green flags and red flags to look for when choosing new friends
- what to do when your friends have babies, get married, or otherwise enter different life phases
- low-hanging fruit for maintaining existing friendships with as little effort as possible
- how to makes friends with people who uplevel your life
- why it tends to be harder for men to make close friends (and how to help them!)
- how to make friends when you don’t vibe with any of the people who live by you
We would LOVE to hear from you any thoughts, reactions, or takeaways you have as you’re listening, so definitely screenshot and tag me @lizmoody and Marisa @drmarisagfranco on Instagram.
To join the Healthier Together Podcast Club Facebook group, go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/healthiertogetherpodcast or to fill out the form to join a podcast club in your city, fill out the form here https://forms.gle/GXXvwjPKVyeKXeqg9.
This episode is sponsored by Thrive Market. Go to thrivemarket.com/healthiertogether to join Thrive Market today and get $80 in free groceries.
This episode is sponsored by Seed. You can get 15% off your first month’s supply of Seed’s DS-01™ Daily Synbiotic by going to seed.com/daily-synbiotic and using the code LIZMOODY.
This episode is sponsored by Paleovalley. Head over to paleovalley.com and use the code LIZM for 15% off.
Healthier Together cover art by Zack. Healthier Together music by Alex Ruimy.