My guest today is the amazing Stephanie Danler. Stephanie is the author of Sweetbitter, which was a NYTimes best-selling, phenomenally successful book and TV show, and now. She recently published her deeply personal memoir, Stray. On this episode, we talk about:
- how her publishing Sweetbitter impacted her decision to have a child
- how her huge success as an author and television show creator impacted her sense of purpose
- her postpartum depression
- how she broke the cycle of her unhealthy childhood
- how to know when you need to set boundaries, and how to know when you can be flexible with those boundaries
- how she deals with jealousy people having better childhoods than her
- how suffering as a child impacts as future romantic relationships
- the relationship between thinking about yourself and thinking about others in our growth as humans
- money anxiety, money attachment styles, and more taboo money-related topics
- her mental health journey, including her complicated relationship with medication
- her coping mechanisms to deal with anxiety
- how she manages her out-of-whack cortisol levels
- plant medicine and medicinal mushrooms as a treatment for depression
You can find Stephanie on Instagram at @smdanler, and we’d both love to hear your reactions to this episode, so please screenshot and write any thoughts or questions that come up as you’re listening and tag us both (I’m @lizmoody).
This episode is sponsored by Kyoto Botanicals, the first CBD brand I’ve recommended on this podcast! They believe every ingredient matters and should contribute to your overall health, which is why they only use USDA certified organic oils to deliver flavor with benefits. Their products only have organic, single-source plant extracts, not lab developed flavors and colors, so you get whole plant benefits as nature intended. Finally, their hemp is grown according to strict organic and biodynamic standards, and they only use only organic coconut MCT oil as a carrier. I recommend all of their products, but especially their tinctures. You can get a whopping 25% off your order (AND they always have free shipping!) by using the code “HEALTHIERTOGETHER” at kyotobotanicals.com.
This episode is sponsored by Lifeway Foods, makers of America’s best-selling brand of kefir.
Kefir has 12 different strains of live and active cultures and 25-30 billion Colony Forming Units (CFU), while the average yogurt can have anywhere from 1 to 5 strains with 6 billion CFU. Plus, it’s also up to 99% lactose-free. Lifeway Kefir comes in all sorts of delicious flavors, and they even have a dairy-free Plantiful line. Go to lifewaykefir.com and click “where to buy” to find a store that carries Lifeway near you!
Healthier Together cover art by Zack. Healthier Together music by Alex Ruimy.