This episode features Tara Schuster, an author, playwright, and accomplished entertainment executive. She served as Vice President of Talent and Development at Comedy Central where she was the Executive in Charge of Lights Out with David Spade, was the Executive in Charge of the Emmy® and Peabody Award-winning Key & Peele, the Emmy® Award winning @Midnight, and numerous other shows. She’s also the author of the amazing book, Buy Yourself the F*cking Lilies: and Other Rituals to Fix Your Life from Someone Who has Been There, which was our very first #LMbookclub pick. In this episode, we talk about:
- The self care practices she’s relying on to get through this pandemic
- Her 3-step plan for climbing out of bouts of depression or anxiety
- How she learned to love herself and when exactly it happened
- Her technique to deal with jealousy and envy
- The trick she uses to love her looks
- Her career progression, including exactly how she became a top exec at Comedy Central
- How she knew it was time to make the leap to work for herself
- How she developed a good relationship with money after having a crazy childhood
- Her advice to anyone looking to become a solo entrepreneur
- Her advice to anyone looking to climb a career ladder
- How she created her tribe of amazing female friends as an adult, including the brilliant trick she uses to uplevel the quality of women in her life
- How she got her book deal, and the exact path she used to start placing pieces in publications like the New Yorker
- How she overcame having parents who didn’t support her dreams—and the revelation she had about why they acted the way they did as a kid
- The realization that helped her finally forgive her parents for her childhood
- How she approaches dating and the fear of not meeting a dream partner
You can find Tara on Instagram @taraschuster, and I’m of course @lizmoody. Screenshot and tag us both with your thoughts, feelings, and reactions to this episode!
This episode is sponsored by GoMacro. For all of May, GoMacro is going above and beyond and donating 10% of their net-proceeds from their Peanut Butter MacroBar to Farm Sanctuary. As one of the nation’s largest animal sanctuaries, Farm Sanctuary has rescued thousands of animals and has cared for them at its sanctuaries in New York and California.
You can get a whopping 30% off your order PLUS free shipping by using the code “healthiertogether30” at GoMacro.com. I highly recommend you try the peanut butter, the double chocolate peanut butter chip, and the oatmeal chocolate chip cookie!
This week is also sponsored by SOUND. SOUND combines sparkling water with certified organic tea, botanicals and fruit extracts. They don’t use any sweeteners, so they’re both sugar and artificial sugar free, but they still somehow taste amazing. My very favorite one is Chamomile with Vanilla and Elderflower, which tastes just like cream soda, and Zack loves the Green Tea with Grapefruit and Mint and the Blood Orange and Vanilla with Black Tea. They’re one of my favorite soda alternatives, and they’re also an awesome base for mocktails or cocktails. You can get 20% off at drinksound.com by using the code LIZ. Enjoy!
Healthier Together cover art by Zack. Healthier Together music by Alex Ruimy.