These healthy double chocolate chunk cookies just might be my favorite cookies I’ve ever made: a chocolate base with fudgy chocolate chunks, perfectly offset by toasty walnuts (or whatever nut you want!). What can be more perfect than that?!
What makes these double chocolate chunk cookies healthy?
Glad you asked! These double chocolate chunk cookies are grain-free, optionally vegan when you use flax egg as a substitute, and super blood sugar friendly because of all of the healthy fats and proteins.
The super star ingredient, though, is cacao. Raw cacao is often thought of as one of the world’s most potent superfoods. It’s been found in studies to actually help with stress-relief due to its theobromine content. Plus, because it’s essentially chocolate in its purest, rawest form, it just makes everything taste good. This is the brand of cacao I usually use (I find it has a really rich, chocolate-y flavor and they test for heavy metals and pesticides), but any organic option will work great!
Wait! There’s more! Cookie ice cream sandwiches for the win.
PSA: you can turn my Best Healthy Cookies OR these Double Fudge Chunk Cookies into ice cream sandwiches, and the result is very, very delicious.
Just make the cookies, let them cool, and smoosh slightly softened ice cream onto one, pressing another on top. Put them back in the freezer to set up—the longer they’re in there, the more the cookies soften and combine with the ice cream, and the better they taste. You can use any type of (dairy or non-dairy!) ice cream here—with these Double Fudge Chunk cookies, I loved mint chip, strawberry, and coffee the best.
Enjoy, and tag me if you make it on Instagram (@lizmoody)—I can’t wait to see!Print
- 1 large egg (you can sub a flax egg to make them vegan!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup creamy unsalted almond or cashew butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup chopped raw walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Stir together all ingredients except nuts and dark chocolate until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts. The batter will be thick; you can use your hands to incorporate.
- Roll into ping pong sized balls and place on a parchment-lined banking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from oven. Let cool on pan and then enjoy!
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: healthy cookie recipe, healthy chocolate chunk cookie, healthy chocolate cookie