What are you making for dinner tonight? Is it this vegan corn chowder? I know, that’d be a rather crazy coincidence considering the two of you have only just now stumbled upon each other. Either way, you really, really should.
We’re in the last moments of summer corn season, when the ears are sweet instead of starchy and available in abundance.
And man, does this vegan corn chowder taste like summer in a bowl. It even looks kinda like a sun, doesn’t it? It’s bright and fresh and sweet and savory, with these bursting little crunches from the sautéed corn on top. It’s also gluten free, refined sugar free and paleo. The secret to it’s incredibly creaminess is the coconut milk and pureed shallots.
It’s equally good served hot and cold, and it uses so few ingredients that it’s incredible flavor seems kind of like magic. But, in the words of the old adage: it’s not magic. It’s corn!Print
- 1 large or 2 small shallots, roughly chopped
- 4 ears of corn, washed with kernels removed, with 1 ear’s worth of kernels set aside for topping
- 4 – 5 new potatoes, roughly chopped (no need to peel)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1.5 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 – 5 small sweet red peppers, finely chopped
- A glug of high heat oil of choice (ghee, coconut oil and avocado all work well)
- Handful of basil, roughly chopped
- In a medium to large pot, sauté the shallots in high heat oil until golden brown
- Then add potatoes and cook for 3 – 5 additional minutes.
- Add the kernels from 3 ears of the corn, coconut milk, vegetable stock and garlic
- Simmer until potatoes are tender, then remove from heat.
- While it’s simmering, heat up a bit more of high heat oil in a saucepan, and sauté kernels from last ear of corn and sweet red peppers over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until parts are dark brown, about 3 – 5 min. Remove from heat.
- In a blender or with an immersion blender, puree soup until creamy, then top with sautéed corn and peppers and a bit of basil to serve. Makes 2 dinner portions, 4 appetizer portions.