Neuroscientist and psychiatrist Dr. Jud Brewer discusses the science behind cravings, how to make and break habits, why willpower is a myth, and why diets don’t work.
- Why willpower is a myth, from a neuroscience perspective
- The neuroscience behind why diets don’t work
- The role of the orbitofrontal cortex in habit formation (+ how to use it to your advantage)
- The surprising reasons behind why we crave what we crave
- How to recognize when you’re eating from sadness, stress, or boredom (and how to stop)
- A 3 step process to break any unhelpful habit
- Why counting calories is harmful, not helpful
- Specific advice to stop snoozing, be on your phone less, stay up less late, procrastinate less, and buy less things you don’t need
- and so much more!
For more from Dr. Brewer, you can find him on Instagram @dr.jud and his website www.drjud.com. His newest book, The Hunger Habit: Why We Eat When We’re Not Hungry and How to Stop, comes out on January 30th and can be preordered today.
To join The Liz Moody Podcast Club Facebook group, go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/thelizmoodypodcast.
Ready to uplevel every part of your life? Order my new book 100 Ways to Change Your Life: The Science of Leveling Up Health, Happiness, Relationships & Success now!
This episode is sponsored by:
AG1: visit drinkag1.com/lizmoody and get your FREE year supply of Vitamin D and 5 free travel packs today.
Athletic Brewing: use LIZM to get 15% off your first order at athleticbrewing.com.
Pet Honesty: go to PetHonesty.com/LIZ to get 25% off your first purchase.
ARMRA: go to tryarmra.com/LIZMOODY or enter LIZMOODY to get 15% off your first order.
Natural Cycles: use code Liz or go to naturalcycles.app/Liz to get 15% off an annual subscription + a free thermometer.
The Liz Moody Podcast cover art by Zack. The Liz Moody Podcast music by Alex Ruimy.
Formerly the Healthier Together Podcast.