This is a collection of everything I’m loving recently, from beauty to health to food and everything in between.
1. Innersense Quiet Calm Curl Control: I’ve been searching for an organic heat protectant for years and coming up completely short, and while this isn’t made explicitly for that purpose, I’ve been using just a dab on my hair before I blowdry and getting amazing results. My hair is shiny, silky, soft to the touch, with no trace of the frizzies that typically plague me (I live in San Francisco, a climate of perpetual mist that’s horrible for frizz-prone hair). I also have very fine hair, and while this is incredibly hydrating, I haven’t found it to weigh my strands down at all. I’m in love with this brand generally – they make an awesome shampoo and conditioner I plan on doing a full report on later – as they are fastidious about ingredients, making sure absolutely nothing questionable goes into their products. They also pack in an amazing amount of active, nourishing ingredients, like orange flower oil, shea butter and wheatgrass. You can find them online or at many Whole Foods and other natural stores.
2. Summer Stone Fruit: I’m madly in love with the abundance of stone fruit at my local farmer’s market – I’m partaking in it daily, with one eye warily cast toward the near future when the season will be over! I love pluots, plums, apricots, nectarines, peaches, you name it…while I mostly eat them plain, standing over the sink with juice dribbling down my arm, I’ve also loved making my Nectarine Thyme Crisp and my vegan Pluot “Ricotta” Toast.
3. The Lash Project Gluten Free Lash Conditioning Mascara: This is, hands down, the best natural mascara I’ve found – and I’ve tried almost all of them. A lot of other brands go on too wet and spiky, but this one just makes it look like you have the lushest, fullest, natural lashes you’ve ever seen. It doesn’t flake or smudge, and it’s filled with ingredients that nourish your eyelashes so they grow thicker and stronger (as opposed to many conventional mascaras, which can actually make your eyelashes fall out!) It’s a bit pricey, but I’ve found it to be worth every penny – I’m smitten.
4. Tulsi Cinnamon Rose Tea: If you’re not drinking tulsi tea yet, you’re missing out. Also known as “holy basil,” tulsi has long been used medicinally in India, where it’s thought to be one of the most powerful healing herbs around. It’s wonderful for immunity, stress-relief, dental health, headaches, respiratory problems and more, but I particularly love this one because of its flavor, which is perfect both hot and iced in the summer time. The rose is lightly floral and the cinnamon is sweet and spicy, and when I sip it, I feel immediately comforted. Well-worth a try.
5. Ilia Neon Angel Lipstick: This has become my go-to summer color. It’s a bright, vibrant pink that looks beautiful on a near naked face (because who wants to wear loads of foundation in the summer?). I swipe it on and immediately feel like I look more on: my eyes look brighter and bluer, my skin glows more, my cheeks look flushed and rosy. It’s sexy and sophisticated but in a playful, youthful way. Ilia’s products are 85% organic, and contain nourishing ingredients like jojoba seed oil, cocoa seed butter and pomegranate seed extract.
6. RMS “Un”Cover-Up: With one of the shortest ingredient lists I’ve ever seen, this 100% organic concealer/foundation combo has become a staple in my makeup bag. It gives a natural, dewy finish while evening out any redness, blotchiness, undereye circles and imperfections. I love how light it feels and looks – while I’m wearing it, my skin looks like my skin, only better. The packaging is beautiful as well, and the perfect size to throw in your purse for on-the-go touchups. While you can apply it with your fingers – and I often do when I’m not at home – I’ve been using this brush, which is perfectly sized to match and really reasonably priced for the quality, for a flawless application at home.