Recently we had Bethany from Dearly Bethany on The Healthier Together Podcast. Bethany is a style mastery coach and content creator with over 1 million YouTube subscribers. On the pod, she talked all about her academic journey with fashion and gives us amazing advice on how we can start finding our personal style, accentuate our best features, and avoid getting lost in trends (I’m talking to you, micro-bags). It was so much fun having Bethany on the pod, so naturally I had to outline her best style tips and recommendations here on the blog.
Exactly where do you start to find your personal style?
Bethany says to look to our personal interests for authentic fashion inspo: our music playlists, favorite TV shows and movies, and even to our childhood. Yep, that flower pattern your third grade self couldn’t stop wearing should make a debut!
“Trends should honor you, not the other way around”, Bethany shares. “To find your personal style, what I suggest doing is to remember who you were and the things that were important to you back then, honor them, and who you want to be in the future, honor that person too. And then who you are in the middle is really that in-between of being nostalgic about things in your past, moving forward, and preparing the way with your closet and daily outfit choices to where you wont have those regrets with what’s in your closet.”
What are the style categories?
To get your personal aesthetic just right, Bethany recommends blending two or three of your favorite style categories so your outfit is more authentic and not all one note. You can even have fun choosing the ones that contrast each other the most, like academia and western! There’s a whole spectrum to be inspired by, but a few style categories Bethany notes are:
- Academia: this aesthetic feels like you’re going to spend all day at a library. Imagine being surrounded by wood walls, wearing Oxford shoes, and a light tweed jacket.
- Light academia: moves academia a bit brighter with colors like whites, creams, and bieges being paired with accessories.
- Fierce: this aesthetic has darker colors and eye-catching textures. Think leather jackets, combat boots, and layered choker necklaces.
- Western: cowboy boots, cowboy hats, and all the fringe.
- Bohemian: this style moves the western elements way more feminine
How to figure out which colors look best on you
Now, it’s time to figure out if you’re warm-toned or cool-toned. Rough translation: figure out which colors compliment your skin tone, hair, and eye color. Bethany gives us a GENIUS trick for this. It’s such a life hack. All you need is something gold-ish, something silver-ish, and a mirror.
- Find a mirror in a place where there’s natural light.
- Look at yourself in the mirror and hold the gold object up to your face.
- Notice if it brings out dark circles under your eyes or if it enhances your natural glow.
- Repeat with the silver object.
If your features were more complimented by gold, you’re warm-toned. And if you were more complimented by the silver, you’re cool-toned! Yay! Now, how do you know which colors on the color wheel will bring out your best features?
- For warm-tones: warm colors like reds, oranges, and some yellows
- For cool-tones: cool colors like blues, some purples, and some greens
But don’t worry! No color is off limits. Bethany explains how we can dabble on the whole color wheel in a way that’s beneficial for our skin tone:
“If you want to wear green and you’re cool-toned, pick a green that has more blue in it– like an ivy. If you are warm-toned and have more golden, yellow notes to your skin, pick a green that has more yellow in it– like an olive.”
Where are the best places to shop?
Bethany shares her favorite places to buy everything from confidence-boosting swimwear to unique wedding guest attire in this rapid-fire Q&A:
- Wedding guest outfits: Reformation
- Swimsuits: Monday Swimwear & J. Crew
- Shoes: Nisolo & Sézane
- Jeans: Redone & Agolde
- Petite clothing: a tailor near you
- Cute tops: Doen, Ralph Lauren, & Free People
- Purses: Polene Paris
- Summer dresses: laligne, Christy Dawn, Doen, Aritzia, J. Crew
- Jewelry: Wind Blown Jewelry
Be sure to check out Dearly Bethany’s style mastery program, listen to our full podcast episode & follow Bethany @dearlybethany on Instagram and YouTube. Like I said, her style advice is literally life changing and incredibly helpful. You’re going to love it.
You may also like these episodes:
How to Dress Cute with Charly Goss
Hair Care Secrets with Marianna Hewitt
Science Hacks to Make Anyone Charismatic with Vanessa Van Edwards
Self Confidence and Eliminating Comparison with No Ordinary Noire