This recipe was born out of necessity – pumpkin pie spice has been shockingly hard to come by this winter, and, when I lived in England, it was essentially non-existent. There’s something really empowering and creative about making your own spice blends. You can’t really go awry with spices (except for when Zack put smoked paprika in a smoothie, which was far more savory than any green smoothie should ever be).
This blend is perfect for any pumpkin pie, fall flavored treats – pumpkin muffins, pumpkin spiced lattes, pumpkin pie chia pudding. I also like to use it spice up (literally) any number of recipes. Here are a few of my favorite no-recipe recipes:
Top 5 Uses For Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Blend it with coffee and cream or coconut milk for a quick and easy Pumpkin Spice Latte.
- Toss it with cubed sweet potatoes or butternut squash and roast at 400 degrees until golden brown.
- Blend it with canned pumpkin puree, ice cubes, maple syrup and some greens for a pumpkin pie green smoothie.
- Heat up some almond milk and stir this in for a warming bedtime drink.
- Melt some dark chocolate and spread it on waxed paper in 1/4″ layer. Sprinkle the pumpkin pie spice and some pumpkin seeds on top for DIY Pumpkin Pie Chocolate Bark.
You can make as much or as little as you like – just keep the ratios the same for optimal pumpkin pie-y results.
Also, as a warning – summer’s out, fall is in. I hope you guys are ready for a pumpkin eating, apple picking, burgundy filled season cuz I’m diving right in (to the golden-hued leaf pile).Print
DIY Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- Mix together all ingredients. Store in an air-tight container for up to one year, keeping hidden from light if possible to preserve the quality of the spices.
Feel free to make as little or as much as you’d like, as long as the ratios stay the same.
[…] You can also sub 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (here's a DIY version) instead of using all the spices listed here. 3.5.3208 This post is sponsored by Vitamix, whose […]