I haven’t had a ton of time to come up with new recipe ideas lately. I’ve been traveling several times a month to speak at events, and gearing up for my book launch is taking way more out of me than I expected.
So, I asked you guys on Instagram what you wanted me to make a healthier version of. Yes, it was lazy, but oh my God, did you guys deliver. So many great ideas (if you’re reading this and you really want me to create a recipe and you missed my Insta-story request, no worries—just DM me!). The one that made my mouth immediately water, though, was the Lemon Poppyseed cake.
I love lemon and poppyseed as a flavor combination—it takes me straight back to the warm, buttery muffins from my childhood. Those, of course, were often made with the aid of baking mix and were filled with artificial flavors and refined flours and sugars. This cake, however, is not (surprise! Such are the things that happen when you read a healthy food blog).
It’s made with an almond flour base that gives it a rich, moist crumb, and fresh lemon zest provides the sweet citrus zing. It’s protein-packed from the eggs and the almond, and the poppy seeds add little crunchy bits of life to the whole mix.
I’ve sliced up the whole loaf and stored it in my freezer, and most mornings, I take out a piece at a time and toast it. Top with blueberry compote (recipe here) or just a bit of pasture-raised butter—it’s a crave-worthy way to start your day that won’t leave you with a blood sugar crash before lunch.
Best of all? It’s super easy to make.Print
- 2 1/3 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium eggs
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- Zest of 1 organic lemon
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving a bit of extra hanging over the sides.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, vanilla, eggs, maple syrup, avocado oil, and lemon zest until smooth. Add in poppy seeds and stir well to distribute.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.