Carla Lalli Music is the former Food Director and current Editor-At-Large for Bon Appetit, which means that for years, she’s overseen the food content of and written for the magazine and multiple websites like Healthyish and Basically. She’s also a regular fixture on Bon Appetit podcasts and their mega-successful YouTube channel, where she helps celebrities learn how to book on Back-to-Back chef. Beyond that, she’s the author of one of my favorite cookbooks, Where Cooking Begins (one of The New Yorker’s best cookbooks of the year). On this episode, you get to know the woman behind the success, including:
- Her entire career journey that led to her job at Bon Appetit
- The #metoo movement & how being a woman impacted her early years in the restaurant world
- What life is actually like behind the scenes in the famous Bon Appetit test kitchen
- Exactly how someone can get hired by Bon Appetit or pitch them freelance pieces
- Her personal wellness routine, including her thoughts on trends like celery juice, charcoal, intermittent fasting, and CBD
- Her rules for getting gorgeous curly hair
- Her theory of “oranges” and “greens” for making the best quick healthy meal
- The three kitchen tools she’d recommend for a tiny apartment
- What’s it like to cook with super stars like Natalie Portman
- Her sage wisdom on aging and long term relationships
- And so much more!
You can find Carla on Instagram @lallimusic. We’d both of course love to hear your thoughts and reactions to this episode, so please tag her and me—I’m @lizmoody— so we can continue the conversation over there.
This episode is sponsored by Garden of Life, one of my all-time favorite brands. I LOVE putting their collagen in my smoothies (I use the unflavored one three or four times a week) and they just debuted chocolate and vanilla varieties that include a few other types of organic plant-based protein. By using these links, you help let Garden of Life know that you found them through this podcast, which I massively appreciate!
This episode is also sponsored by Pukka, whose tea I adore. They make incredible herbal teas with 100% organic ingredients, and they’re also certified Fair for Life. Beyond that, the Pukka bags are fully plastic free, and stitched together with 100% organic, non-GMO cotton. My favorite blends are Relax, After Dinner, and Tulsi Clarity, and Zack loves the Revitalize blend. You can find out more about Pukka at pukkaherbs.us.
Healthier Together cover art by Zack. Healthier Together music by Alex Ruimy.