I’m so excited to welcome Jessica DeFino to the podcast for the Ask The Expert: Skincare Edition episode. Jessica is a beauty reporter covering natural, holistic, sustainable skincare rooted in science and spirituality. Her work has appeared in The New York Times, Vogue, Teen Vogue, Allure, Harper’s BAZAAR, and more. She’s currently writing her first book, and she knows SO much about beauty—she’s interpreted the science, interviewed the experts, and even gone through her own skincare journey, which we talk about on this episode. We also talk about:
- the #1 skin care myth
- the one free practice you can do right now that will scientifically make your skin glow
- how to optimize your gut for better skin health
- the best and worst foods for your skin health (including thoughts on dairy & gluten)
- why you’re dehydrated all the time
- the best practice to figure out if specific foods are at the root of your skin issues
- why exfoliating is hurting your skin more than helping it
- how to build up your skin’s microbiome
- how to build your skin’s barrier layer
- the best way to deal with acne at its root
- the best acne spot treatment
- whether botox is safe
- why she doesn’t use retinol or bakuchiol and what she recommends instead
- why hyaluronic acid isn’t actually good for your skin
- the best ways to boost collagen in your skin
- how to get rid of undereye circles
- speed round including jade rollers, CBD oil for skincare, facials, and coconut oil
I can’t wait to hear your feedback on this episode! Screenshot and tag me—I’m @lizmoody— and Jesica (@jessicadefino_) and share your thoughts, feelings, reactions, and any follow-up questions (maybe we can do a live and answer them!).
PS: My foodie preset pack is officially live. You can get all 8 presets, designed to make your food pics look as good as they taste, at lizmoody.com/presets.
This episode is sponsored by Lavva’s brand new Plant Based Milk. It’s some of my favorite plant milk I’ve ever tried—it’s super rich and creamy and made with pili nuts, which are a complete protein. Go to lovvelavva.com to find a retailer near you!
This episode is sponsored by Garden of Life, whose Advanced Omega fish oil I’m obsessed with. By buying it with my link, it lets the brand know that you found them through me, and it doesn’t cost you anything extra: https://amzn.to/2TwrGPl
This episode is sponsored by Kyoto Botanicals, the first CBD brand I’ve recommended on this podcast! Right now, I’m loving their Warmth tincture, which has turmeric and cinnamon, and the Warmth balm, which is so helpful for headaches and sore muscles. You can get a whopping 25% off your order (AND they always have free shipping!) by using the code “HEALTHIERTOGETHER” at kyotobotanicals.com.
Healthier Together cover art by Zack. Healthier Together music by Alex Ruimy.