This is the third edition of Ask the Doctor, where I ask functional medicine doctors a ton of questions in a single episode so you can reap the benefits of all of their knowledge (check out the first episode, featuring Dr. Will Cole talking about inflammation, hormone balance, birth control, and more, here, and the second episode, which features Dr. Ellen Vora in the most comprehensive conversation about anxiety ever, here).
This episode is all about gut health, and features the amazing Will Bulsiewicz, MD, known as Dr. B, the Gut Health MD. Dr. B is a board-certified gastroenterologist, a graduate of Georgetown University School of Medicine and was chief medical resident at Northwestern Memorial Hospital and chief gastroenterology fellow at the University of North Carolina Hospitals. He’s authored more than twenty articles in the top American gastroenterology journals, and he just released his very first book, Fiber Fueled.
This episode is SO comprehensive—I tried to ask Will basically every question about keeping your gut health, including:
- How alcohol consumption impacts the gut microbiome
- The best type of alcohol for gut health
- The cause of acid reflux and how to deal with it
- The best supplements for gut health (and the ones that aren’t worth your money)
- The number one thing you can do to help nurture a healthy microbiome
- The sneaky common beverage that causes a LOT of bloating
- The best type of diet for gut health
- Is collagen good for your gut?
- Is coffee good for your gut?
- Are food sensitivity tests worth the money?
- Does apple cider vinegar actually do anything for gut health?
- The best type of tea for gut health
- The types of herbs for gut health
- Is cooked food or raw food better for gut health?
- The one gut health mistake everyone makes
- Exactly hat to do when you know you’re going to eat a bad-for-you-meal
- The connection between gut health and hangovers
- What everyone gets wrong about FODMAPs
- And so much more!
You can find out more about Dr. B at theplantfedgut.com. We’d both of course love to hear your thoughts and reactions to this episode, so please tag him (@theguthealthmd) and me (@lizmoody) so we can continue the conversation over there. We’ll also be doing a follow up on Instagram Live next week, so write down any of your follow up questions and stay tuned!
PPS: My Actually Delicious 10-Day Detox is on sale for 50% off for a limited time. It has 10 days of plant-based recipes to nourish your gut, skin, and general health. Find out more at lizmoody.com/ebooks.
This episode is brought to you by Garden of Life, one of my all time favorite gut health brands. I take their magnesium chelate nightly to help avoid constipation and help alleviate anxiety, and I love their prebiotic powder, which we talk about a ton in this episode. I also take their Mood+ probiotic and it’s made a huge difference in the health of my gut and my anxiety.
This episode is also sponsored by GoMacro. For all of May, GoMacro is going above and beyond and donating 10% of their net-proceeds from their Peanut Butter MacroBar to Farm Sanctuary. As one of the nation’s largest animal sanctuaries, Farm Sanctuary has rescued thousands of animals and has cared for them at its sanctuaries in New York and California. You can get a whopping 30% off your order PLUS free shipping by using the code “healthiertogether30” at GoMacro.com. I highly recommend you try the peanut butter, the double chocolate peanut butter chip, and the oatmeal chocolate chip cookie!
Healthier Together cover art by Zack. Healthier Together music by Alex Ruimy.