In case you haven’t noticed yet, I’m a fan of cookie dough. I’ve made cookie dough milkshakes, cookie dough cups, and cookie dough you can eat with a spoon—and now I’m adding healthy cookie dough pancakes to the mix. These are so good, and they take only second to make: You basically take a grain-free almond flour base and whiz it up in the blender with a bunch of ingredients, but notably cashew butter and a LOT of vanilla, both of which add that “hey—is this cookie dough I’m eating?” vibe that I crave, well, basically all of the time.
The other secret to these guys are the cacao nibs which I love for a few reasons. They’re just ground up cacao beans, which means you’re getting the chocolate in all of its antioxidant rich glory (a lot of which is lost in any kind of processed chocolate, even fancy dark kinds), and they also add a wonderfully satisfying crunchy texture. That said, if you want to use mini chocolate chips, you totally can—I’ve included the instructions below.
FINALLY: Let’s talk about this 2-ingredient, 5-second caramel sauce. Spoiler alert: It’s just cashew butter and maple syrup, and a teensy bit of water (does water count as an ingredient?). BUT! When combined, these two ingredients truly become exponentially more than the sum of their parts. This caramel sauce is to. die. for. You’ll want to put it on everything, from ice cream to apple slices to these pancakes.
SECOND FINALLY (it’s like a P.P.S.): I’ve finally changed my name on Instagram to @lizmoody after years of being @sproutedroutes. I’m excited to share more of the person behind the food with you lovely lot over there, in addition to a bunch of other fun things (giveaways, wellness tips, and more!). If you’re not following me yet, come hang out @lizmoody—and comment on this photo and tell me something strange and fun about yourself! I’d love to get to know you better!
Alright healthy cookie dough pancakes, let’s do this.Print
Healthy Salted Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pancakes with 2-Ingredient Caramel Syrup (Grain Free, Refined Sugar Free, Dairy-Free)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened non dairy milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2.5 cups almond flour
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cashew butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs (preferably pastured)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup cacao nibs (can sub in 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips)
- Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling (like Maldon)
- High heat oil of choice, for cooking (avocado, ghee, and coconut all work well)
2-Ingredient Caramel sauce
- 1/3 cup cashew butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- Mix together milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Blend together all ingredients except cacao nibs, Maldon salt, and high heat oil until very smooth (this includes the apple cider vinegar/milk mixture).
- Pulse in cacao nibs until broken up and distributed but not blended. If using chocolate chips, simply stir them in.
- Heat a large skillet over medium. Add high heat oil. When it’s shimmering, pour a silver dollar sized pancake onto pan. Immediately sprinkle top with Maldon sea salt, then let cook until bubbles begin to form. Flip, and cook until golden brown on second side. Repeat with all remaining pancakes.
- Serve with maple syrup or caramel sauce (recipe below).
-Ingredient Caramel Sauce
- Mix together cashew butter and maple syrup until very smooth. Add warm water 1 tablespoon at a time until it reaches a runny yet thick consistency. Serve over pancakes, ice cream, fruit, or whatever else you choose.
I loved this and have already made it 3 times!
These were amazing. The ‘caramel’ is one of the best things I’ve eaten.