There are two types of people in this world: those who prefer the cookie, and those who prefer the dough. While I ADORE cookies, I fall definitively into the latter camp. In college, I kept a log of Tollhouse chocolate chip in my dorm room fridge, available whenever I needed to pinch off a bite (or three). In my later, more healthy years, I’ve been known to keep a glass container full of this stuff in my freezer, digging into it with a spoon on Bachelorette nights (anyone else Team Luke?) or even a few sneaky mornings.
And now, in the spirit of summer, I’ve translated my addiction into a milkshake. A completely vegan, paleo, refined sugar free, healthy cookie dough milkshake. You could call this a smoothie and drink it for breakfast, if you wanted – it’s that good for you. But the flavor – the flavor is all decadence. It’s rich, buttery, filled with vanilla smoothness and bursting with bites of chocolate. Beyond freezing a bit of nondairy milk in ice cube trays the night before, the whole thing also comes together in about two minutes flat.
There are a few secret ingredients here that give it that supreme cookie dough flavor. Almond butter brings that rich butteriness, while an abundance of vanilla extract ensures that chocolate chip cookie essence. I also swapped chocolate chips for cacao nibs, which are completely unprocessed crushed cacao beans and thus retain more of chocolate’s amazing nutrients. You know when people talk about chocolate being a super food? They’re talking about raw cacao, which is packed with theobromine, magnesium, and antioxidants that give you a mellow energy and loads of immune-boosting power. They completely satisfy my chocolate cravings, and I love the faint crunch they give when pulsed into the milkshake, but if you prefer, you can also use dark chocolate chips or shavings.
- 1/3 cup creamy unsalted cashew or almond butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/8 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 4 tbsp chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate (you can also use cacao nibs to make it even healthier!)
- 1 1/2 cups milk of choice
- 2 cups frozen cauliflower
- 1/4 cup hulled hemp hearts
- 1 frozen banana
- Stir together nut butter, vanilla, maple syrup, almond flour, and sea salt until a dough forms (it’ll be thick, use your hands!).
- Divide in half. To one half, mix in 2 tbsp of chocolate chips, then roll into balls the size of the chunks you find in cookie dough ice cream.
- Add the other half to a blender and blend with milk, cauliflower, hemp hearts, and banana until smooth.
- Pulse in the remaining 2 tbsp chocolate until it’s distributed but not fully blended.
- Pour into two glasses. Stir in/top with cookie dough chunks! Enjoy with a friend who will now love you very, very much ?