Honestly, Healthy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins don’t even need an introduction. They’re a classic spring dessert that deserves a seat at every brunch table between the months of March and May, and I didn’t know if it was possible, but I managed to make a better-for-you version that’s, well, just better on all fronts.
These healthy muffins are SO fluffy, you won’t believe it—the acid in the lemon juice activates the leaveners to make them even more powerful, and the results are astonishing. Like they’re so good. They’re also gluten-free, dairy-free, and have plenty of other benefits, thanks to being made with oat flour.
Why is oat flour so great?
If you’re one of my readers who’s requested more oat flour-based desserts (there’s a lot of you!), then you’ve already fallen in love with oat flour and don’t need me to convince you of its many benefits. If not, allow me to convince you: It’s affordable, it’s gluten-free, and it has a ton of fiber. I love using oat flour in recipes—it’s lighter and springier than almond flour, and it’s also WAY cheaper.
Why I’ll never stop baking lemon desserts
I let Zack sit out the sampling for this one and gave them to my best friend Gretchen to try, since whenever I ask her what recipe I should make, she says, “DESSERTS WITH LEMON,” and if I say, “I HAVE desserts with lemon,” she says back, “MORE desserts with lemon.” So. Here ya go, Gretch!
These Healthy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins are super fast and simple to make, making them the perfect spring dessert recipe (limited prep and cook time means maximum fun-in-the-nice-weather time). Plus, you can freeze ’em to munch on all week long.
Basically even if you’re not as obsessed with lemon desserts as Gretchen is, there are still way too many pros to not whip these up at least once. I made them into a really tiny batch—just 6 muffins—because I wanted the flexibility of having just a few muffins, but it also makes it a perfect batch size to try them out. Double it if you want more!
Oh, and one more note on the lemons: In an ideal world, I’d recommend buying organic, but if not, just soak them in water with a splash of apple cider vinegar for 10 minutes and then rinse thoroughly. And if you’re curious about my other lemon desserts, I’d recommend trying my Healthy Starbucks Iced Lemon Loaf next.
Watch it being made!
Enjoy, and tag me if you make it on Instagram (@lizmoody)—I can’t wait to see!Print
Healthy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Zest of 1 lemon (ideally organic, but if not, just soak in water with a splash of ACV for 10 minutes and then rinse thoroughly)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (set aside the rest for the glaze!)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Powdered sugar, for glaze (totally optional, these are just as good without!)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients (except the powdered sugar) until smooth. Pour about 2/3 of the way full in a greased muffin tin. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until tops are just brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- To make the glaze, mix together remaining lemon juice with enough powdered sugar to make a thick glaze.
- Glaze muffins, if desired, and enjoy! Makes 6 muffins.
Keywords: healthy lemon poppyseed muffins
You are very welcome! So glad you like the recipes 🙂 Aren’t these muffins delicious?! xo, Liz