My favorite game of making healthier recipes from popular chains continues with this Healthy Starbucks Iced Lemon Loaf. But before I dive into all the goodness that is this moisty, lemony dessert—did you know I’ve also recreated the Starbucks Pumpkin Loaf? And the Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars, too!
Not surprisingly (because who doesn’t love lemon cake?), this Iced Lemon Loaf had plenty of requests, and I’m happy to say the healthier version turned out so bright and delicious.
Like the Pumpkin Loaf, this lemony cake is made with almond flour, making it grain-free. And while it doesn’t have that bright lemon yellow color, it does have less than 10 ingredients—which is way better of a pro if you ask me.
Wash your lemons
Ideally, I prefer to buy organic lemons, but if that’s not possible that’s totally fine, too. For non-organic lemons (or if you’re not sure), I’d recommend soaking them in water with a splash of apple cider vingegar for 10 minutes and then rinse thoroughly.
Sure, you can smear any old store-bought glaze over this dessert, but it wouldn’t be a true Healthy Starbucks Iced Lemon Loaf if I hadn’t made a healthier icing, too.
Simply juice the lemons you used for zest (if your lemons were huge or really juicy, start with the juice of 1). Then stir the juice with enough powdered sugar to make a thick glaze. Top your cake with your delicious two-ingredient icing, and the last 1/2 of lemon’s zest, and get ready to enjoy. Alternatively, you can make it sans glaze for more of a snacking/breakfast loaf—because who doesn’t want cake for breakfast every once in awhile.
Watch it being made!
Enjoy, and tag me if you make it on Instagram (@lizmoody)—I can’t wait to see!Print
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Zest of 1.5 lemons (ideally organic, but if not, just soak in water with a splash of ACV for 10 minutes and then rinse thoroughly—save the second half a lemon’s zest to sprinkle on top)
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- Juice from the 1.5 lemons
- Powdered sugar (you don’t need much—just enough to make a thick glaze)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients until smooth. Pour into a parchment lined 9×5 inch loaf pan (if you have a bigger loaf pan, just increase the recipe by 1.5x). Bake for an hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, mix together lemon juice with enough powdered sugar to make a thick glaze (if your lemons were huge or really juicy, start with the juice of 1–it’s probably enough frosting). Let loaf cool, then pour glaze over top. Sprinkle with remaining lemon zest. Store in the fridge until ready to serve!!