This Peppermint Mocha Lover’s Rice Pudding is one of my favorite healthy winter breakfast ideas. It’s made with peppermint extract and fresh coffee, of course, and then a powerful metabolism-boosting ingredient that you’ve probably never used before! This recipe is completely backed by the science we learned on the latest Ask the Doctor metabolism episode of The Healthier Together Podcast. Don’t forget to add dairy free whipped cream or greek yogurt to your new favorite festive breakfast meal prep and listen to the episode!
Unlike those magazines from the 90’s, I’m not saying this metabolism-boosting Peppermint Mocha Lover’s Rice Pudding will help you shed unwanted belly fat or make him call you. But, it does incorporate our podcast guest Dr. Casey Mean’s favorite food for metabolic health: basil seeds. Basil seeds work just like chia seeds, but they have way more fiber, more Omega-3s, and more micronutrients, which are all key components of metabolically healthy meals. They’re also mild in flavor, so don’t worry–you won’t get notes of Italian in this naturally sweetened breakfast. Bonus points that this recipe’s also blood sugar balancing because it’s a resistant starch mixed with healthy fats, carbs, and protein.
I’d never cooked with basil seeds before, so immediately after my interview with Dr. Casey I ordered some to experiment with. Behold, this delicious and festive Peppermint Mocha Rice Pudding. Imagine Starbucks’ Peppermint Mocha Frappuccino as a warm and cozy (and healthy!) rice pudding. YUM.
If you have a health concern you can’t seem to find the root of or have been diagnosed with one, you’re going to want to listen to this BRAND NEW episode of my super popular series, Ask the Doctor. This one’s all about metabolism, which is probably way different than what you’re thinking–I know it was for me! I interviewed Dr. Casey Means for this episode, who is the Chief Medical Officer and co-founder of the metabolic health company, Levels. She taught me that literally everything I was taught about my metabolism was completely wrong. Our metabolism is actually critically important for literally powering every single cell in our body, which is why metabolic dysfunction can contribute to everything from stroke to dementia to cancer.
In this metabolism episode of the Ask the Doctor series, we go DEEP into the science of how blood sugar impacts everything from weight and hormone balance and fertility to disease, depression, heart attacks, and more. It packs in SO much from Dr. Casey Means, and you’ll walk away armed with real ways to make a life-changing impact on your whole body health.
You’ll learn about:
- how to know if you’re experiencing metabolic dysfunction (+ the exact tests to ask your doctor for)
- ALL the hacks to be more metabolically flexible
- the 5 key components of a metabolism-supporting meal
- the connection between stress or trauma and metabolism
- the impact of cold plunging, saunas, meditation & more on metabolism
- how different phases of your period impact your metabolism
- how hormones impact our metabolic health & vice versa
- the best type of exercise for blood sugar balance
- the truth about snacking
- & so much more!
Ingredients in Peppermint Mocha Rice Pudding
Rice pudding is one of the easiest healthy meal prep breakfast recipes out there. Here’s what you’ll need to make this one:
- White rice: uncooked white rice is the perfect foundation for our healthy rice pudding recipe.
- Milk: dairy free nut milk or oat milk, 2% or whole milk will all work in this recipe
- Brewed coffee: make your own or buy cold brew from the store! You can also feel free to use caffeine-free.
- Sea salt: I use Ava Jane’s Colima Sea Salt which is micro-plastic free and helps the flavors pop- get your first bag free here!!
- Maple syrup: we naturally sweeten this breakfast with maple syrup
- Peppermint extract: the star of the show. Peppermint extract not only gives the rice pudding a sweet flavor, but also helps the other flavors stand out.
- Vanilla extract: get the ultimate cozy flavors from vanilla extract.
- Egg: this recipe calls for just one egg, beaten, to give it a proper, creamy texture.
- Basil seeds: the one and only. Don’t skip on these because they hold the metabolism-boosting powers of the recipe! I like this brand, ZenBasil Organic Basil Seeds that you can get on Amazon!
Don’t forget the delicious toppings
Jazz up your peppermint mocha rice pudding with some delicious healthy toppings! I thinnk any of the following would be delicious:
- whipped cream
- greek yogurt
- powdered cacao
- chocolate shavings
- organic candy cane chunks
More healthy make ahead breakfasts you’ll love:Print
- 1/3 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon basil seeds
- Optional toppings: greek yogurt, whipped cream, powdered cacao
- Bring the uncooked rice, milk, coffee, and salt to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and cook on low for 2 more minutes, stirring constantly. Let it thicken for at least 10 minutes.
- Top with any optional toppings and then serve it warm or let it cool in the fridge before enjoying!