As a healthy cookbook author, some people might think I spend hours cooking up my meals—but that couldn’t be further from the truth. After a day of creating and testing recipes, the last thing I want to do is spend a lot of time on my dinner, which is one of the reasons I love this 10-Minute Chickpea Corn Elote Bowl so much.
Ever since my first trip to Mexico as a kid (I grew up an hour from the border), I’ve loved elote, or Mexican street corn, which is grilled corn on the cob smothered in lime juice, Cotija cheese, chili peppers, and mayonnaise or cream. It’s got this incredible flavor that’s born out of not that many ingredients, which made it the perfect inspiration for a quick dinner. And, thus, the 10-Minute Chickpea Corn Elote Bowl was born.
This is a by-no-means-authentic take on that inspiring flavor combo, but I can assure you it does deliver on taste. Frozen corn and canned chickpeas are taken to the next level by a ton of spices and cheesy, savory nutritional yeast. Some green onions and a squeeze of lime brighten the whole thing up.
My favorite healthy secret: spices
If you’ve followed me for a while, you already know I’m absolutely obsessed with adding spices to my recipes. (Yes, that even includes my smoothies.) Spices are a super easy, affordable way to make even the simplest meals really, really tasty. Plus, they’ve got tons of health benefits, too. This 10-Minute Chickpea Corn Elote Bowl gets its flavor from:
- onion powder
- chipotle powder
- chili powder
All you’ve got to do is toast up the chickpeas, corn, and a nice pinch of salt, then mix in all the spices. It’s that easy. Try it but don’t say I didn’t warn you—you’re gonna be obsessed.
Watch it being made!
Enjoy, and tag me if you make it on Instagram (@lizmoody)—I can’t wait to see!Print
10-Minute Chickpea Corn Elote Bowl (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed, drained and dried with a towel (so the oil doesn’t spatter and hurt you!)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn (2 ears)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2–3 green onions, chopped (white and light green parts only)
- Fine grain sea salt
- Olive oil
- In the biggest skillet you have (the less crowded, the more the chickpeas crisp up, so if you double the recipe, use two skillets!), drizzle a bit of olive oil.
- Add the chickpeas, corn, and a good pinch of salt. Cook on medium high until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and toss with spices, coconut sugar, lime, green onions, and more salt to taste. Serves 2. Enjoy!!
Keywords: chickpea corn elote bowl