You already know that smoothies are one of the easiest ways to transform your health, but today I’m here to tell you that you don’t need to spend a ton of money on your smoothies. Take this Healthy Chocolate Chai Smoothie. It’s packed with nutritious ingredients, super delicious (yes, I’m biased—but like, it’s really good), and doesn’t require any fancy “superfoods.”
In fact, I never put any fancy “superfoods” in my blends—instead, I just open my spice cabinet. Spices have been used therapeutically for centuries, and Western studies are just catching up to things Ayurvedic doctors and wise grandmas have known for years.
Plus, they come with the added bonus of tons of delicious flavor. Cardamom, for instance, has anti-inflammatory compounds that can help protect against chronic disease, while ginger is a powerhouse for both instantly calming nausea and soothing the entire digestive system.
Hello, healthy spices
This Healthy Chocolate Chai Smoothie is based on the flavors of masala chai, the warming and delicious Indian tea. The blend’s got: raw cacao, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cardamom, cloves, black pepper, and salt. But if you don’t have them all on hand, don’t worry—just use whatever you have, and get ready for a smoothie that will help with your digestion, energy, and more.
This smoothie is on the cool side of room temperature, which is how I like to drink my smoothies, but if you like a colder smoothie, when you’re done blending all the ingredients, add a handful of ice and blend again until smooth! Also, it makes two servings, so give half to a friend, or save the second for tomorrow (aka saving you not just money, but time, too!).
Want more smoothie recipes? I also love my Pecan Coffee Cake Overnight Oats. Oh, and my Lime Creamsicle Smoothie. And my personal fave Chocolate, Cherry, and Cardamom—there’s just so many to choose from!
Watch it being made!
Enjoy, and tag me if you make it on Instagram (@lizmoody)—I can’t wait to see!Print
Healthy Chocolate Chai Smoothie
- 2 cups spinach or mixed greens
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower
- 1 ripe avocado
- 6 pitted Medjool dates (soak in boiling water for 10 minutes and drain if you have a weaker blender)
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Pinch of cloves
- Generous grind black pepper
- 1/4 cup hulled hemp hearts (or sub 2 scoops of unflavored or chocolate protein powder of choice!)
- Pinch salt
1. Add all ingredients to a blender, then add your desired water amount (more = a thinner smoothie and less = a thicker smoothie).
2. Blend until smooth! Note: If you do not have a high-powered blender, start by blending just your greens and water for one minute, then add the rest of the ingredients. Serves 2, so save half for tomorrow or share with someone you love. Enjoy!
Keywords: healthy chocolate chai smoothie