We’ve officially entered the holidays, with ugly sweater parties and company potlucks nudging our healthy lifestyles and mindful drinking to the side. This Cranberry Rosemary Digestive Mocktail (or cocktail) is exactly the sort of festive bev I sip on at parties to feel healthy, happy and less bloated during an indulgent season.
It’s also a heavy-drinking season, with literal sleigh-loads of social pressure that goes along with it. Say it with me: we don’t need alcohol to be charming or fun to be around! My golden rule is: if you want it, have it! If you’re sober curious, I highly recommend my recent podcast episode for super pragmatic tips to find confidence in social settings without alcohol.
My secret for a great mocktail recipe is a complex, nuanced flavor that you won’t find in fruit juice. Meet the star ingredients to rule your sober curious season:
~ Rosemary, which is shown in studies to uplift mood, aid sleep, and ease anxiety.
~ Cranberry, which has been shown in studies to boost gut function.
~ Ginger, because I’m nothing but predictable (but actually, ginger has been used for centuries as a gut soother, and the latest research backs that up).
~ And apple cider vinegar, which aids digestion and stabilizes blood sugar so you don’t feel like death after living your best life. If you’ve tried my Cinnamon Apple Cider Gut Tonic for weight loss, digestion, and immunity, you know exactly how game-changing introducing apple cider vinegar into your diet can be!
The base is a Rosemary Cinnamon Maple Simple Syrup that’s absolutely delicious and gives you that hug-in-a-cup vibe. The simple syrup recipe makes four servings, which can be made up to a week ahead of time and stored in the fridge. The rest of the recipe makes one mocktail, so if you’re enjoying it with a friend, make sure you double only the mocktail part of the recipe!
Make it the Cutest Holiday Drink
After pouring your drink, the final touch is frozen cranberries and a rosemary sprig on top. Beyond looking so gorgeous, the smell of the fresh rosemary as you take your first sip will massively up the flavor! Plus, a little rosemary aromatherapy for anxiety during a busy season never hurts.
No Cocktail Tools Necessary
All you need to make this mocktail is a small pot with a lid to put over a burner. Then, it’s just bringing together 8 simple ingredients that are packed with bright and fresh holiday flavor. No cocktail shaker or smoking box required.
Watch it being made!
Enjoy, and tag me if you make it on Instagram (@lizmoody)—I can’t wait to see!
For the Rosemary Cinnamon Maple Simple Syrup:
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary with stems
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For One Mocktail:
- 2 tablespoons maple simple syrup
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 shot vodka (if you’re opting for a cocktail)
- Ginger kombucha or Ginger Ale to top
- Frozen cranberries to garnish, optional
- 1 sprig of rosemary to garnish, optional
1. Make the simple syrup. Bring all simple syrup ingredients to a boil in the smallest pot you have. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover for 10 minutes.
2. Turn the heat off and let it cool with the lid on for 20 more minutes.
3. To make each mocktail, add a generous amount of ice to a rocks glass. Add 2 tablespoons of the maple simple syrup you just made, plus the cranberry juice and apple cider vinegar (and vodka, if using).
3. Top your glass with ginger kombucha or Ginger Ale and stir.
4. Garnish with frozen cranberries and a sprig of fresh rosemary. Enjoy!