Okay, okay, I caved—fall recipes are coming at ya. Over Labor Day weekend, I could suddenly feel fall in the breeze. It was a little crisp, a little fresh. When we drove out of Montana, there was even a light dusting of snow on the mountains.
Unfortunately, our next stop was a little cabin in the Columbia River Gorge, not far from some of biggest wildfires Oregon has seen. We can see the smoke and had to brush ash off our grocery cart this afternoon; currently, we’re waiting to see if we’ll need to evacuate. 2020!! Never a dull moment. Feeling very grateful that we have the flexibility to leave if we need to, and so so grateful for all the people out there fighting the fires (can you even imagine? It’s one of those jobs like surgeon or teacher or dentist that I can’t even fathom doing but I’m so so appreciative that other people out there are amazing and step up to the plate).
I’ll share more in my stories if you’re interested but y’all—this smoothie is SO good. It tastes like fresh, homemade apple pie, except you can have it for breakfast and it’s packed with phytonutrients, healthy fats, and enough fiber and protein to keep you full through lunch.
Time for the filling!
There are so many options when it comes to the filling for these Healthy Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps! You can either do chicken (I like to buy pre-cooked rotisserie because it’s easy), cauliflower, chickpeas, or a mix of all three.
If you’re looking to make the recipe vegan, you can substitute the honey for maple syrup and use one or both of the vegan filling options: cauliflower and chickpeas. Cauliflower is absolutely a power-packed veggie option. Aside from being a wonderful source of nutrients, cauliflower is high in fiber to aid in digestion and is an amazing source of antioxidants. Also a great source of vitamins and nutrients, chickpeas are very high in protein, making them an ideal meat replacement option.
After you choose and combine your filling, just top with some quick pickled cucumbers (yes, apple cider vinegar makes this possible), it looks SUPER fancy but takes literally 10 min to throw together.
Enjoy, and tag me if you make it on Instagram (@lizmoody)—I can’t wait to see!Print
- 1 apple, chopped
- Avocado oil
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower rice or 2 cups frozen cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons hulled hemp hearts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pitted Medjool dates (soak in boiling water for 10 min and then drain if you don’t have a high-speed blender)
- Pinch fine grain salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup milk of choice
- Cook the apple in a drizzle of avocado oil in a skillet over medium-high until brown.
- Transfer to a plate and place in freezer for at least 10 min. (You can also do this in batches or the night before—just make sure the apple pieces are not touching each other on a parchment-lined plate or pan till they freeze, then transfer to a storage bag).
- Add to a blender with all other ingredients and blend till smooth.
- Category: Snack
Keywords: easy apple pie smoothie