This will be the first edition of what I’m calling Ask the Doctor, where I have on one of my favorite functional medicine professionals and ask them all of your top questions about health and wellness.
My doctor this episode is the amazing Will Cole, who has been both a friend and a source for my stories for years and years. He’s the author of two best-selling books, Ketotarian, which is all about doing a plant-based keto diet, and the newly released The Inflammation Spectrum, which helps people put together a custom plan to fight inflammation. He co-hosts the goop fellas podcast, and he’s a regular source and contributor to goop, mindbodygreen, and a number of other wellness websites.
We cover a lot in this episode—I wanted to pack in as much information as possible. This includes:
- The top 3 foods that fight inflammation
- Lifestyle changes that take less than 5 minutes a day to fight inflammation
- How to get high quality sleep
- How to balancing hormones after birth control, including how long it takes + how you can help clear hormones from your body
- The healthiest type of birth control
- The super common drink Dr. Cole consumes every day for longevity (you can find it at any grocery store!)
- The 3 easiest ways to support hormone balance
- The best workouts for anxiety, gut health, hormone balance and more
- The bare minimum amount you should work out
- What lab tests you need to get an idea of how healthy you are, and how to get them without going to a doctor
- Dr. Cole’s personal anxiety journey and what he does to deal with it
- How to tell if a supplement is working, and how long to give each type
- What to do for better gut health generally, or if you have IBS or more severe issues
- And SO much more!
This episode is sponsored by Better Help, an online therapy platform that I use and love. On their website, you answer a few questions and are matched with a licensed, professional therapist, who you can be chatting with within 24 hours. You can also schedule weekly video or phone sessions, so you have multiple ways to have therapy in a way that’s convenient for you. Join over 500,000 people using the super affordable serving worldwide by using the link betterhelp.com/healthiertogether to get 10% off your first month of service. It’s changed my mental health and I truly hope it helps you!
This episode is also sponsored by Simple Mills, a company that makes some of the best grain free snacks and baking mixes you can buy. On this week’s episode, I shared how to make a healthy cheese board with grain free crackers, and how to make delicious Thanksgiving leftovers pizza with Simple Mill’s pizza dough, but honestly, you can’t go wrong with any of their products! You can get a whopping 20% off your order on SimpleMills.com by using the code “heathiertogether20” when you check out.
Healthier Together cover art by Zack Mitchell. Healthier Together music by Alex Ruimy.