Easy and delicious birthday cake batter almond flour banana bread that’s filled with nourishing ingredients and studded with colorful, organic sprinkles. This healthy banana bread is gluten free, grain free, dairy free, and refined sugar free and will be your new favorite treat to bake on the weekends, for a healthy make ahead breakfast, or as a treat to bake your friends for their birthday!
I decided to make this super fun almond flour banana bread after sharing my anxiety journey with all of you on Instagram. I thought we needed something a little lighter, a little more fun (as they say in Hamilton, ie the best piece of entertainment known to mankind—”can we get back to politics, please?”). And truly, is there anything more fun than birthday cake?
I know you all are obsessed with my healthy salted cookie dough banana bread, and for good reason—it’s SO delish! But this recipe might just take the, erm, cake. I’m here to welcome you to another healthy banana bread to swoon over, and, spoiler alert, she’s got big party energy.
In this birthday cake banana bread, I used the same secret to making a birthday cake batter flavor that I use in my healthy Milk Bar birthday cake energy balls— just a hint of almond extract that gives that slight bite in the back of your mouth that you remember from your favorite yellow cake batter. With a ton of vanilla and buttery cashew butter, each bite tastes exactly like birthday cake and banana bread had a baby. It’s so good, you guys.
What makes this banana bread healthy?
When I say this banana bread is healthy, I mean it makes the perfect nutrient-dense breakfast, snack idea, and gluten free dessert. Here’s what makes this birthday cake banana bread so good for you:
- Banana: you’ll just need one, large ripened banana for this recipe
- Cashew butter: I opt for creamy
- Eggs: you’ll need three eggs in this recipe, which adds protein that’s linked to feeling more full and weight loss! If you’re vegan, you can try substituting them for flax eggs!
- Coconut sugar: we’re naturally sweetening this healthy banana bread with coconut sugar, which is proven to have more antioxidants and a lower glycemic index than regular sugar.
- Almond flour: this gluten free, heart-healthy flour is shown in research to manage blood sugar and boost metabolism and weight loss.
- Almond extract: this is the secret ingredient to making that yellow birthday cake flavor. Plus, it’s shown to have anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Vanilla extract: beyond bringing that birthday cake flavor, vanilla is shown to have mood-boosting benefits!
- Baking staples: apple cider vinegar, baking soda, baking powder, fine grain sea salt make this grain free banana bread super light and airy.
- Organic sprinkles: optional but highly recommended because they’re not just for looks! The sprinkles form a crispy, sweet topping that you’ll find fully addictive. To keep it healthy, I love this brand and this brand.
Storing & freezing instructions
While I love eating this banana bread fresh, my absolute favorite thing to do is slice it and store the slices in the freezer. Then, every time a craving strikes, I just pop a frozen slice straight in the toaster. The edges get extra crispy and it makes the whole house smell delightful. Ugh. Heaven.
To store: keep this banana bread well-covered in plastic wrap at room temperature for up to three days or fridge for 5 days.
To freeze: cut into slices and place in a freezer-friendly bag for up to three months. When you’re ready to eat, just pop it in the toaster oven!
I can’t wait to see your recreations birthday cake almond flour banana bread — I’m sure it’ll be your new favorite! Be sure to tag me on Instagram (@lizmoody) if you snap a pic. Enjoy!Print
Birthday Cake Batter Almond Flour Banana Bread
- 1 very ripe banana
- 1 cup unsalted creamy cashew butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons organic sprinkles (I like these and these)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving some to overhang the sides.
- Mash the banana in a large bowl, leaving a few chunks.
- Beat the cashew butter and eggs into the banana mixture. Add the coconut sugar, almond flour, almond extract, vanilla extract, baking soda, baking powder, and fine grain sea salt, and stir until well-combined. Add the apple cider vinegar and stir until well incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Stir in 1 tablespoon of sprinkles, swirling so they distribute throughout the batter. Sprinkle the other tablespoon of sprinkles in an even layer on the top of the bread.
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out completely clean. Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes in the pan before removing. Store for up to 4 days in the fridge, or slice and keep in the freezer for up to 6 months, toasting a slice at a time when you’re ready to eat!
Hi Shelly—Thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed.