Ummm…hi. After sharing my anxiety journey with all of you on Instagram, I thought we needed something a little lighter, a little more fun (as they say in Hamilton, ie the best piece of entertainment known to mankind—”can we get back to politics, please?”). And truly, is there anything more fun that birthday cake?
I know you guys are obsessed with my healthy salted cookie dough banana bread (and I get it—it’s SO delish!) but this one might just take the, erm, cake.
I used the same secret to making a birthday cake batter flavor that I revealed in my birthday cake energy balls—just a hint of almond extract gives that slight bite in the back of your mouth that you remember from your favorite yellow cake batter. With a ton of vanilla and a buttery cashew butter, it literally tastes exactly like birthday cake and banana bread had a baby—if that baby were completely grain free, refined sugar free, and packed with protein (maybe kind of a weird baby, actually, but let’s go with the metaphor here).
The sprinkles are optional but highly recommended. They form a sort of crispy top that you’ll find fully addictive (and there are a ton of great organic versions available online—I love these and these).
I also used a few little tricks to make the bread super light and airy, which, you likely know, is rare for a grain-free bread. The secrets? Using both baking soda and baking powder, and adding a splash of apple cider vinegar to activate the baking soda (you can actually see it bubble, which is so science experimenty and cool).
While I love eating this fresh, my absolute favorite thing to do is slice it and store the slices in the freezer. Then, every time a craving strikes, I just pop a frozen slice straight in the toaster. The edges get extra crispy and it makes the whole house smell delightful. Ugh. Heaven.
I can’t wait to see your guys’ recreations of this—I’m pretty sure it’ll be your new favorite!Print
- 1 very ripe banana
- 1 cup unsalted creamy cashew butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons organic sprinkles (I like these and these), optional but recommended
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving some to overhang the sides.
- Mash the banana in a large bowl, leaving a few chunks.
- Beat the cashew butter and eggs into the banana mixture. Add the coconut sugar, almond flour, almond extract, vanilla extract, baking soda, baking powder, and fine grain sea salt, and stir until well-combined. Add the apple cider vinegar and stir until well incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Stir in 1 tablespoon of sprinkles, swirling so they distribute throughout the batter. Sprinkle the other tablespoon of sprinkles in an even layer on the top of the bread.
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out completely clean. Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes in the pan before removing. Store for up to 4 days in the fridge, or slice and keep in the freezer for up to 6 months, toasting a slice at a time when you’re ready to eat!