Hi friends—I made you cookies! First, we must start by acknowledging that they’re actually masala chai cookies—chai means “tea” in Hindi, so when you say you want a chai tea, you are in fact asking for a tea tea (kind of like when you say you’re going to the ATM machine, or the automatic teller machine machine. Not that it’s a pet peeve of mine. Ahem). Masala chai is probably what you think of when you think chai—black tea mixed with a decadent array of spices and milk that’s SO dang delicious. These Healthy Chocolate Chai cookies will satisfy ALL of your cravings, trust me!
These cookies contain the original superfoods—spices!
Long before there were expensive powders and supplements, people were supporting their health with spices, which have the added bonus of making these ALSO taste amazing. Spices seriously enhance everything; like the flavor, aroma, and color of so many of our favorite foods and beverages. Even better, they’re rich in phytochemicals and antioxidants that vary from type to type but fight cancer, inflammation, gut problems, and more.
Bottom line: These cookies are essentially supplements, and anyone who disagrees with you as you shove them in your face can be ignored or perhaps destroyed. Hooray?!
Did you know? Spice edition.
HOT TIP: The potency of a spice’s flavor often correlates with the health benefits, and both degrade over time. So if your cinnamon flavor is kind of subdued, it’s time to replace it—for the sake of your health and your tongue!
Make ’em vegan!
You can easily swap a flax egg for the egg in this recipe—just mix together 1 tablespoon of ground flax meal with 2 1/2 tablespoons of water and let it sit for ten minutes. Then, go ahead and make the recipe as normal.
Enjoy, and tag me if you make it on Instagram (@lizmoody)—I can’t wait to see!Print
- 1 egg (flax eggs work too—method above!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted tahini (I love the flavor tahini adds here, but you can sub your favorite nut or seed butter)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- Pinch of cloves
- Generous grind black pepper
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Maldon or flaky sea salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stir together everything except chocolate & flaky salt until well combined.
- Add in chocolate chips, leaving out a few to put on top, then roll into 9 equal balls and place on a parchment-lined pan.
- Add additional chips and flaky salt, if using. Bake for 12-14 min, until edges are brown. Let cool on pan and then enjoy!
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: healthy chocolate chai cookies