Comfort baking is absolutely a thing. I had such a warm feeling making these Pumpkin Cinnamon Swirl Cookies with Chocolate Chunks. Have you ever made pumpkin cookies before and they turn out cakey? Let me tell you why—most pumpkin cookies are cakey due to the pumpkin’s high liquid and fiber content. Cue this recipe.
I REALLY wanted a chewy cookie with crispy edges (ie the BEST cookie texture just like in my Best Healthy Cookies from The Healthier Together Cookbook!). I’m actually quite proud of what I came up with: you treat the pumpkin like the base for a flax egg, which also makes it accidentally vegan.
How does the flax egg make this “accidentally vegan”?
You may have heard me use the term “accidentally vegan” recently (not just in this Pumpkin Cinnamon Swirl Cookies with Chocolate Chunks recipe). It’s because there are so many easy ways to turn comforting and delicious recipes into vegan masterpieces—this simple swap almost feels too easy!
If you’ve never used flax egg, let me introduce you to this life-changing baking ingredient. Flax egg has the same binding effects as egg whites. I’ve used flax egg in some of my other cookie recipes, like my Healthy Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies, for this very reason! It also gives the cookies a delicious, buttery flavor (aka the comforting part!).
Flax seeds have so many amazing nutritional benefits like being high in Omega-3 fats and their natural ability to help lower blood pressure.
These are SO good and so comforting, and the cinnamon swirl truly takes it over the top. Feel free to leave the chunks out for more of a sugar cookie vibe!
Enjoy, and tag me if you make it on Instagram (@lizmoody)!Print
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted creamy almond butter (make sure it’s well stirred!)
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat the over to 375 degrees.
- Stir together pumpkin and flax and let sit for 10 min.
- Add vanilla, almond butter, almond flour, sea salt, 1/2 cup coconut sugar, baking soda and chunks if using.
- Mix well, and divide into 8 balls. Flatten the balls into discs.
- Stir together the remaining 1 tablespoon coconut sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle on the discs and then reshape into balls, so the cinnamon/sugar is swirled throughout but not mixed in.
- Top with any remaining cinnamon sugar (I also like to add a few chocolate chunks on top).
- Bake on a parchment-lined pan for 10-12 minutes, or until brown at edges
- Let cool on pan and then enjoy!
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: Pumpkin Cinnamon Swirl Cookies