Is there anything better than having healthy dinners already made for you on busy weeknights? Short answer: No. Long answer: Yes, when those healthy dinners are also super delicious and not difficult to make to begin with—aka like these Meal-Prep Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burritos.
They’re packed with yummy sweet potatoes, onions, black beans, and spices. I love stashing a bunch of these in my freezer to grab and go so I always have something healthy and super delicious on hand.
I’ve been experimenting with a bunch of different burrito combos to see what freezes well (my breakfast burritos are a staple) and this combo nails it. It’s also all cooked on one sheet pan for maximal laziness, which you know I love.
So many veggies!
You might already know that smoothies are my number one hack for getting in a ton of veggies while still eating something super delicious. But burritos are a solid second. These ones are packed with sweet potatoes and onions, plus tons of black beans. The trick is to use spices—hey chipotle powder—and salsa to give them a lot of flavor.
Want more healthy freezer burritos?
I already told you my breakfast burritos are another one of my go-tos, but these Meal Prep Curry-Spiced Cauliflower Chickpea Freezer Burritos are also one of my faves. Just like these Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burritos, they’re an easy make-ahead meal, but just because they’re simple to make, doesn’t mean they don’t deliver on flavor (because they totally do).
Watch them being made!Print
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes, chopped into 1/2” cubes (no need to peel, just wash them well!!)
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4–6 burrito sized tortillas (I used the Siete Foods ones)
- avocado oil (I used Primal Kitchen)
- fine grain sea salt
- ground chipotle powder
- hot sauce or salsa, if desired (I love a tomatillo one with these!!)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- On a parchment-lined pan, toss red onions and sweet potatoes with enough avocado oil to coat and a generous amount of salt and some chipotle powder (if you like it spicy, use more; if not, use less!). Bake for 20-30 minutes, tossing a few times, until sweet potatoes are easily pierced with a fork and onions are brown (anything that’s browning too much, move more to the center!). Add the black beans to the pan and toss to mix.
- Warm tortillas for 30 seconds on each side to make them pliable (this is super important to prevent them from breaking when you try to fold them!) then do a line of the black bean and sweet potato mixture down the middle. Add hot sauce if using. Fold in sides and roll. For me, this made 5 burritos, but it’ll vary based on the size of your tortillas. Wrap burritos in foil, and freeze!
- To prepare, microwave (remove the foil first, for the love of all things holy!!) or use a toaster oven to warm when ready to eat!!
Keywords: black bean burritos