I am so excited to welcome Dr. Lucia Aronica as today’s guest. Dr. Aronica is a lecturer at Stanford University whose research investigates how diet, genetics, and epigenetics interact with each other to impact our health and longevity, and how to use that information to design personalized lifestyle interventions. She is an acclaimed speaker and serves as an advisor for companies active in the personal genomics and precision health field. She has also published research papers in top-ranked peer-reviewed journals such as Cell, Genes and Development, and the EMBO Journal. On this episode we talk about:
- how our genes are impacted by our everyday choices
- what it means to have “cancer causing genes” and why it’s different than you might think
- the top 2 environmental toxins to avoid to protect your DNA
- exactly what to do to start reversing genetic markers (+ the number of years it takes to reverse markers from smoking, eating less well, and more)
- the specific foods to add to your diet to turn on your cellular defense mechanisms
- exactly which foods have the most epigenetic benefits
- how to prepare foods you’re already eating to maximize their epigenetic benefits
- how different diets impact our gene expression
- the lifestyle choices that have the best and worst impacts on our gene expression
- the impact of childhood trauma on your genes + exactly how to reverse it
- if genetic testing is really worth it or a waste of time
- what pregnant people can do to positively impact their offspring’s epigenetics
- and so much more
We would LOVE to hear from you any thoughts, reactions, or takeaways you have as you’re listening, so definitely screenshot and tag me @lizmoody and Lucia @drluciaaronica on Instagram.
To join the Healthier Together Podcast Club Facebook group, go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/healthiertogetherpodcast.
This episode is sponsored by Seed. You can get 15% off your first month’s supply of Seed’s DS-01™ Daily Synbiotic by going to https://seed.com/daily-synbiotic and using the code LIZMOODY.
This episode is sponsored by Thrive Market. Go to thrivemarket.com/healthiertogether to join Thrive Market today and get $80 in free groceries.
This episode is sponsored by MUD/WTR. Go to mudwtr.com/lizm and use code LIZM for 15% off your order.
This episode is sponsored by Dry Farm Wines. Go to dryfarmwines.com/healthiertogether to receive an extra bottle in your first box for just one penny when you sign up for a subscription.
Healthier Together cover art by Zack. Healthier Together music by Alex Ruimy.