In case it wasn’t clear, I am a BIG smoothie person. I eat one for breakfast just about every day of the year (though by making two and saving the second for the next day, I only have to actually make a smoothie every other day), and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. But when I asked you guys on Instagram what kinds of recipes you wanted from me, soo many of you said healthy make-ahead breakfasts. So I got to work, and created this Veggie-Packed, One-Pan Southwestern Breakfast Skillet.
It’s gluten-free, optionally dairy-free, and vegetarian, and just like my smoothies, this One-Pan Southwestern Breakfast Skillet makes it so easy to eat a ton of veggies before noon. I was able to pack six cups of kale into this guy, thanks to it all wilting down—not to mention an entire red bell pepper and tons of corn and onion. Plus, a whole can of beans! It’s not all the plant-based goodness that’s going to convince you to make this over and over again, though.
Why I love this One-Pan Southwestern Breakfast Skillet
I used a 10” cast iron skillet to make this recipe, but any 10” oven-safe skillet works. If you don’t have an oven-safe skillet, just do it all through the eggs in a skillet and then transfer to a pie pan or casserole dish to bake. You’re really just sautéing the veggies, adding the beans and hash browns, adding the eggs, topping with cheese (or not, totally optional), and baking. That’s it!
You’ll notice instructions to salt throughout the cooking process. Don’t skip them! Salting each layer builds a complex and delicious flavor—if you’re worried about too much salt, 1) use a mineral salt for more balanced flavor and 2) use less, but still do it at every step.
One tip for the cheese: If you do use, I recommend choosing pasture-raised (same with the eggs), and sprinkling it on top instead of stirring it into the dish. Sprinkling it on top versus stirring in gives you a lot of cheese flavor in every bite and you can use way less!
Speaking of toppings, I love mine with cilantro, green onions, and salsa, added just before serving. If you’re making ahead, reheat in the microwave or oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until warm. Just keep cilantro and green onions in a baggie in the fridge and add (along with salsa) before serving. You’re going to love it!
More breakfast recipes
If you love how veggie-packed this One-Pan Southwestern Breakfast Skillet is, I have to of course recommend trying one of my smoothie recipes next:
- Chocolate Cherry Cardamom Smoothie
- Orange Creamsicle Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Cup Green Smoothie
- Carrot Cake Smoothie
- Strawberry Lemonade Green Smoothie
Or, you can try one of these non-smoothie (and a bit less veggie-packed), healthy breakfast recipes.
- Healthy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- Healthy Pecan Cinnamon Roll Dough Bites (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan)
- Healthy Breakfast Burrito
- Super Clumpy Cardamom Orange Creamsicle Granola
- Pecan Coffee Cake Overnight Oats
Watch it being made!
Enjoy, and tag me if you make it on Instagram (@lizmoody)—I can’t wait to see!Print
Veggie-Packed, One-Pan Southwestern Breakfast Skillet
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 6 cups torn kale (from about 3–4 large leaves, tear into bite size pieces )
- 3 cups frozen hash browns, thawed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 pasture-raised eggs, beaten with a pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup pasture-raised cheddar cheese (omit if dairy-free)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup torn cilantro leaves
- Salsa of choice
- Fine grain sea salt
- Avocado oil
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a 10” cast iron skillet over medium high heat, add a drizzle of avocado oil. Add onions, bell pepper, corn, jalapeño, and generous sprinkle of salt, and cook until just brown. Stir the kale and cook until it’s wilted and much smaller in size, about 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in hash browns and beans. Add another sprinkle of salt, then add eggs. Stir to distribute evenly and top with cheese, if using.
- Bake until set, about 30 minutes. Top with cilantro, green onions, and salsa just before serving. To reheat: Microwave or bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until warm. Keep cilantro and green onions in a baggie in the fridge and add just before serving. Serves 4-6. Enjoy!
Keywords: one-pan southwestern breakfast skillet
I’m so glad the recipe was a big hit. A cabin sounds like the perfect backdrop for this dish!