I wanted super clumpy granola, because who doesn’t?! Perfect for toppings and just a snack all on its own, good granola is a game-changer. Now make that granola Super Clumpy Cardamom Orange Creamsicle Granola, and you’ve really done something special.
The process of making super clumpy granola (orange creamsicle granola), is often achieved through an egg white, but I also wanted it to be vegan and not waste a poor egg yolk. I thought back to other recipes I’d looked for the same crispy quality in—namely, my Healthy Cinnamon Toast Crunch and my Everything Bagel Crackers, and I realized: the solution was a FLAX EGG.
How does the flax egg make the granola clumpy?
I’ve never seen ground flax used in granola but it has the same (maybe even a better!) binding effect as egg whites. I’ve used flax egg in a ton of other recipes, like my Healthy Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies, for this very reason! It also gives it a delish, buttery flavor that goes so well with the flavor combo here, which is a cardamom orange creamsicle that’s so damn good. Wondering what Flax egg even is? This magical mixture is just flax seeds mixed with water. Flax seeds have so many amazing nutritional benefits like being high in Omega-3 fats and their natural ability to help lower blood pressure.
This discovery may not be as exciting for you as it was for me, but you should still make this granola!
Versatile is the word!
We all love a snack that can go the extra mile—this Super Clumpy Cardamom Orange Creamsicle Granola is just that!
It’s a great hiking snack, great as cereal, delish with yogurt & it’s super easy to make.
I can’t wait to see all of the different makes you make and enjoy this granola.
If this granola recipe set off some cravings, you need to try my Roasted Peaches with Coconut Yogurt and Cinnamon Lavender Granola.
Enjoy, and tag me if you make it on Instagram (@lizmoody)!Print
- Zest of 1 orange (peel and cut the orange wedges and freeze em for smoothies!)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup olive oil (you can also sub avocado oil)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons ground flax (remember to store ground flax in the freezer!)
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon fine grain salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (you can also use cinnamon but cardamom just deserves more love in general)
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, pinch together the orange zest and the coconut sugar until they’re very well mixed. Add the maple syrup, oil, vanilla, and ground flax; stir and set aside for the flax to hydrate for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, stir together the oats, salt, cardamom, and pistachios.
- Pour the liquid over the dry ingredients and stir until very well coated.
- Press into a single layer, about 1/2” thick, on a parchment-lined cookie sheet, then bake for 25 minutes, or until the edges are golden.
- Let cool on pan before breaking into big old clumps! Store in a tightly sealed container at room temp for a week or so.
- Category: Snack
Keywords: super clumpy cardamom orange creamsicle granola, orange creamsicle granola