One of my favorite things ever is getting recipe suggestions from you guys, and that very thing happened with this delicious recipe right here. I’ve been making a ton of freezer burritos lately, and the lovely @cleanlivingwithcarly suggested I make a pesto version and I’m SO excited by where these Healthy Pesto Freezer Burritos ended up.
It’s like the viral pesto eggs, but better
You know the pesto eggs that went viral on TikTok? These Healthy Pesto Freezer Burritos take that same technique—using the oil in pesto to fry eggs—but instead of frying eggs, this recipe uses the oil in pesto to roast the veggies! What you get is a Healthy Pesto Freezer Burrito that tastes like sunshine and walking barefoot on fresh cut grass, and is the most perfect, easy, make-ahead meal for spring and summer.
You’re gonna toss the veggies in the pesto (homemade or store-bought), and use the oil from the pesto to actually cook them (no extra oil needed!). Adding a little more pesto at the end gives a bright, herby flavor, and then we use one of my favorite tricks: Adding lemon juice and zest to store-bought pesto instantly makes it taste way more fresh and gourmet (AND adds a ton of vitamin c and skin-brightening flavonoids!!).
Why I love these Pesto Freezer Burritos
Besides tasting AMAZING, the best part of these delicious burritos is that not only are they meant to be made ahead of time, prepping them in the first place takes very little time and effort. Once you’ve got your veggies pesto-roasted, you just add that additional pesto along with some salt, and roll up your burritos. That’s it! Wrap individually and store them in your freezer, and you’ve got an incredibly tasty one-pan meal to eat whenever you get the craving.
These burritos are vegetarian by nature, and can easily be made dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan, just depending on the tortillas and pesto you use. That’s another pro of these burritos—they’re super customizable!
A few more tricks!
Not confident in your burrito-rolling abilities? First, watch the video below to see me do it. Then make sure your oven is off, and place the tortillas in the oven for 30 seconds. This will warm them up and make them more pliable, so they don’t break or tear when you’re rolling!
Oh, and if you don’t have any of these ingredients on hand, don’t sweat it. Feel free to swap in whatever spring & summer veggie you’d like here! This is a very farmers’ market friendly recipe—just use the veggies you have!
Lastly, to take these Healthy Pesto Freezer Burritos to the next level, I’d highly recommend you pan frying the burrito for a second on each side before eating. This is by no means necessary if you’re in a rush, but it will definitely make them taste even more gourmet than they already do!
More meal-prep freezer burritos
Like I said, I’ve made quite a few of these freezer burritos because they’re such a convenient healthy dinner to keep on hand. If you love these Meal-Prep Pizza Freezer Burritos, try one of these next!
- Meal-Prep Pizza Freezer Burritos
- Meal-Prep Curry-Spiced Cauliflower Chickpea Freezer Burritos (See the how-to video for this one below!)
- Meal-Prep Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burritos
- Meal-Prep Falafel Freezer Burritos
- Meal-Prep Healthy Breakfast Freezer Burrito
Watch it being made!
Enjoy, and tag me if you make it on Instagram (@lizmoody)—I can’t wait to see!Print
- 3 spring onions, sliced (can substitute 1 small yellow onion and 2 green onions if you can’t find spring onions)
- 2 yellow squash, diced
- 2 zucchini, diced
- About 25 asparagus spears with the woody ends removed, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons pesto of choice
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon (ideally organic)
- 4–5 burrito-sized tortillas of choice
- Fine grain mineral salt
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toss onions, squash, zucchini, asparagus, and chickpeas with 1/2 cup pesto until they’re well coated. Bake in a single layer on a parchment-lined pan for 30 minutes, until just brown at edges.
- Add more salt to taste and toss with remaining 2 tablespoons of pesto and lemon juice and zest.
- Add to tortillas and roll (technique is in video—put the tortillas in the turned off but still warm oven for 30 seconds or until pliable so they don’t break!).
- Wrap individually in foil and freeze until ready to eat, when you can either toss right in a toaster oven in the foil or unwrap and wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave in 30-second increments until warmed through. Makes 4-5 burritos! Enjoy!
Keywords: pesto freezer burritos