If you’re looking for the world’s best vegetarian breakfast burrito that’s also the most delicious breakfast for weight loss, look no further, because here it is. Meet: Rosemary Sweet Potato Breakfast Burritos.
This better-than-takeout breakfast burrito recipe is loaded with deliciously spiced sweet potatoes and new potatoes, fluffy scrambled eggs, fresh rosemary, and black beans. It will become your new favorite breakfast meal prep for busy mornings and will fill your body with protein and amazing nutrients for energy. Plus, you’ll learn how to turn your potatoes into a weight-loss friendly food which is the ultimate wellness magic trick.
Freezer burritos are single-handedly one of the best ways to make sticking to your health goals easy and delicious. Here’s why: you get hungry. Neigh, you get ~hangry~. And instead of reaching for a bag of chips, you have the most delicious burrito ready to eat, that’s filled with protein, healthy fats, and fiber.
These healthy Rosemary Sweet Potato Breakfast Burritos are loaded with nutrients:
- Sweet potatoes: shown to be amazing for stabilizing blood sugar, especially when they turn into a resistant starch (this will happen when they’re cooked and cooled).
- New potatoes: high in Vitamin C, B6, and B9 as well as potassium and manganese!
- Eggs: shown to be great for heart health, weight loss, protecting skin and eyes from UV damage, and boosting brain function.
- Rosemary: this anti-inflammatory herb is rich with antioxidants and essential nutrients that are shown to promote healthy, shiny hair and relieve indigestion.
- Black beans: rich in resistant starch, which feeds the good bacteria in your gut! Studies show black beans are anti-inflammatory, gut and heart healthy and help with weight loss, diabetes, and some cancers.
- Yellow onion: regarded as the healthiest onion because it’s rich in nutrients, yellow onions are shown to enhance immunity, heart health, and bones strength.
- Cozy spices: chipotle, garlic, and onion powder are shown to reduce risk of disease and be good sources of antioxidants.
- Grass-fed, pasture-raised butter: better than regular butter because it’s anti-inflammatory and rich in nutrients
- Tortillas of choice: I use whole wheat, or you could go grain-free with Siete tortillas (read below for tips on how to heat your tortillas so they don’t tear!)
- Salsa of choice: optional, but I think it adds great flavor!
What makes this breakfast good for weight loss?
These healthy freezer burritos are high in resistant starch, from the black beans, and also because of how we’re cooking the potatoes and then letting them cool before eating them. Resistant starches are wonderful for weight loss because they don’t get digested like normal starches that we’re told to avoid if we’re trying to lose weight. Instead, they’re processed more like fiber and act as prebiotics that feed the good bacteria in the gut. They even keep you fuller longer, too!
Learn all about resistant starch and more on this Healthier Together podcast episode!
Make these sweet potato breakfast burritos for breakfast meal prep
These make ahead freezer burritos are perfect for busy mornings, and also for lunch and dinner when you don’t feel like cooking. They would also make a great post-workout meal! Here’s the best way to store your freezer burritos, so they’re ready to be reheated easily and mess-free.
To store: wrap each burrito in foil and store individually in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Reheat in the oven: keep the burrito in its foil to heat it up at 350 degrees Farenheit for about 20 minutes or until warmed through.
Reheat in the microwave: unwrap the burrito from the foil, and then wrap it in a damp paper towel. Microwave it in 30 second increments until it’s warmed through (about 2 minutes).
How to roll the perfect burrito (so it doesn’t fall apart or tear!)
If you’re using a grain-free or gluten-free tortilla that’s been refrigerated, this step is crucial!
Warm the tortillas in 15-second increments in the microwave, until pliable. Once they’re flexible, load them up with your cooked ingredients and fold the sides in first, then roll. For proper burrito-rolling technique, watch my video above!
More make ahead freezer burritos:
- The Tastiest Falafel-Spiced Vegan Freezer Burritos
- Meal Prep Sweet Potato and Black Bean Freezer Burritos
- Curry-Spiced Cauliflower Chickpea Freezer Burritos
- Healthy Pesto Freezer Burritos
- Healthy Pizza Freezer Burritos
Enjoy, and tag me if you make it on Instagram (@lizmoody)—I can’t wait to see!Print
5 cups cubed potatoes, skin on (I like a mix of new potatoes and sweet potatoes)
6 tablespoons pasture-raised butter, divided
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
8 pasture-raised eggs, beaten
Salsa of choice
5 tortillas of choice
- Cook the potatoes. Place the potatoes in a large pot and add cold water, until they’re covered. Add a generous amount of salt and bring to a boil for about 10 minutes, until JUST barely fork tender. Then, drain the potatoes.
- Place a skillet over high heat with 4 tablespoons of the butter. Toss in the drained potatoes and the onion and cook for 10 minutes. Tip: don’t stir too often, so you get brown and crispy edges. Once crispy, remove from the heat and place into a large bowl. Toss in the fresh rosemary and a pinch of salt. Set aside and wipe out the skillet with paper towel.
- Place the skillet over low heat and add the beans, onion powder, garlic powder, chipotle powder, and a good shake of salt. Cook until warmed through. Then, pour into a separate bowl, set aside, and wipe out the pan.
- Return the heat to medium-high heat and melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to scramble the eggs. Once scrambled, add salt to taste.
- Warm the tortillas by placing them in the microwave for 15 seconds or until pliable. Then, divide the potatoes, beans, and eggs evenly amongst the tortillas. Add a spoonful of salsa to each. Mix the ingredients together in the tortilla, then fold in sides and roll.
- Wrap in foil and freeze for up to 6 months. Reheat in the oven by keeping it wrapped in the foil or reheat in the microwave by removing the foil, wrapping in a damp paper towel, and heating at 30 second increments. Enjoy!