The flavors of the famous Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia turned into a delicious, veggie-packed oatmeal smoothie that’s perfect for healthy breakfast and dessert. This anti-inflammatory, dairy free Cherry Garcia recipe is secretly a green smoothie because it sneaks cauliflower into the base alongside cherries – two, powerful anti-inflammatory foods.
It’s also refined sugar free and loaded with vegan protein and fiber from hemp hearts, so you’ll feel full and energized all day!
I asked you all on Instagram which Ben & Jerry’s ice cream flavor you wanted me to remake, and you were pretty clear: Cherry Garcia, end of debate. Then I asked you whether it should be a creamy vegan smoothie or deliciously thick oatmeal. You resoundingly said BOTH, so I combined the two and created the most creamy, magically thick healthy treat. Meet, the Smoat.
If you’re wondering, “what the heck are smoats?”, consider it the answer for when you can’t decide between having a smoothie or oatmeal for breakfast. Smoats have all the hidden veggies and drinkability of a green smoothie, and all the delicious flavors and filling-ness of your favorite oatmeal recipes. Smoats. Like an oatmeal smoothie, but thicker and more fun to say.
I’m doing this Ben & Jerry’s ice cream remake series with one of my internet favorites, @justine_snacks. She’s remaking her favorite Ben & Jerry’s flavors over on her Insta and I’m remaking mine over on @lizmoody— obviously there’s a bit of an argument over which flavors are the actual best, but that just means more delicious remakes for you! Now, let’s get into this deliciously dairy free Cherry Garcia Smoats recipe.
The surprising benefits of anti-inflammatory recipes
If you caught my recent Ask the Doctor episode of the Healthier Together Podcast with immunologist Dr. Heather Moday, you may have been surprised to learn that keeping inflammation in check is key to so much more than reducing joint pain and arthritis symptoms. Our inflammation levels impact our immune system, our gut health and microbiome, and more. So, whether you are trying to alleviate pain in the body or just live your healthiest, happiest life, you’re going to love how these Smoats make you feel!
What’s in healthy cherry garcia smoothie oats?
This healthy, anti-inflammatory protein smoothie recipe is made with nutrient-rich ingredients and even hidden veggies to supercharge your mornings with vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals.
Here’s everything you’ll need to make it:
- Frozen cauliflower: The hidden veggie in this green smoothie. Cauliflower adds so much creaminess to the smoothie base as well as powerful vitamins and antioxidants that are proven to help fight inflammation, detox the body, and reduce the risk of disease. I promise you can’t taste it at all!
Frozen cherries: The star ingredient behind that incredible Cherry Garcia flavor we’re all obsessed with is also proven to be anti-inflammatory and promote weight loss.
- Medjool dates: To give the smoothie oats just the right amount of natural sweetness.
- Hulled hemp hearts: A favorite plant-based protein that’s rich in GLA and fiber, hemp hearts are shown to help control inflammation by alleviating arthritis and joint pan, and aid weight loss, AND make these smoats super creamy. Win, win, win.
- Rolled oats: Whole grain oats are a high fiber food and are shown to help improve digestion and relieve constipation. They’ll also make this recipe super thick and filling. Keep this smoothie recipe gluten free by using certified gluten free rolled oats. No need to cook them first, either!
- Pure vanilla extract: Proven to reduce inflammation in the body and uplift mood, pure organic vanilla extract adds wonderful flavor to this recipe.
- Fine grain mineral salt: To make all the flavors pop and add a boost of minerals.
- Cacao nibs: Cacao nibs are fiber-filled, antioxidant-rich superfoods that are proven to bust inflammation, boost energy, prevent constipation, and burn fat. Plus, a Cherry Garcia copycat recipe wouldn’t be right without chocolatey pieces throughout.
Tips for making the perfect Cherry Garcia Smoats in every blender
If you have a regular or personal blender that struggles to give you the creamiest smoothie bowls, try these tips for how to make the best smoothie oats that’ll turn out thick and creamy! If you have a fancy, high-powered blender, feel free to just toss all the ingredients together and blend.
- Soak your dates. You’ll simply place your pitted dates in 1 cup of boiling water for at least 5 minutes. This will help them soften up and make sure that you can easily blend them.
- Use riced frozen cauliflower. You can find this in the frozen section of most grocery stores. This will help your blender because it’ll already broken down into tiny pieces.
- Set frozen ingredients at room temperature. Just for about 5 minutes to help them be easier to blend while maintaining their creamy, coolness.
- Blend at 10-second intervals. Between intervals, use a silicone spatula to scrape the edges and help get the ingredients closer to the blade.
More healthy breakfast ideas
- Healthy Ben & Jerry’s Chunky Monkey Smoothie
- Healthy Starbucks Iced Lemon Loaf
- Make-Ahead Monster Breakfast Bars
- Milk & Cookies Overnight Oats
- Mint Chocolate Chip Muffins
Enjoy, and tell me what Ben & Jerry’s ice cream flavor we should remake next in the comments or on Instagram (@lizmoody)—I can’t wait to hear your ideas!Print
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- 2 pitted Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup hulled hemp hearts
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- Splash of vanilla extract
- Pinch of fine grain mineral salt
- 3 tablespoons cacao nibs or chopped dark chocolate
- Blend everything except the cacao nibs together with filtered water to reach desired thickness, until very smooth.
- Pulse in the cacao nibs or chopped dark chocolate until well distributed but not completely blended (like chocolate chips).
- Pour into your favorite glass, and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1