Learn how to make the healthiest vegan chocolate coffee protein smoothie with greens! This delicious, easy coffee smoothie recipe is chocolatey, creamy, and loaded with superfood benefits from cacao powder, greens, avocado, and hemp hearts, and frozen banana. This green smoothie makes the perfect post work-out breakfast or healthy make ahead breakfast, designed to help soothe caffeine-related anxiety and keep you feeling nourished until lunchtime.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.
If you’ve been following along on Instagram over the years, you’ve probably heard me say that I don’t drink coffee. In fact, I’ve never been a coffee drinker. I’ve always hated the bitter taste of coffee, and I’ve found that the caffeine really stokes my anxiety. But I recently had a Harvard-trained medical doctor who specializes on what to eat for longevity on the Healthier Together Podcast.
As I was quizzing Dr. Li on the best and worst foods for longevity, brain health, inflammation, diabetes, cancer, and more, I almost couldn’t keep track of the amount of times he recommended coffee. He said that research shows how drinking water-processed decaf coffee actually gives you all of the health benefits without the caffeine! He assured me that as long as it says “water-processed” on the bag, the coffee beans will maintain the chlorogenic acid that gives coffee its therapeutic properties and can even lower the risk of dementia.
Listen to the full episode here on Apple Podcasts or here on Spotify!
You’ll also learn what the research says about:
- eating animal protein
- seed oils
- lab grown meat
- the number one healthiest cooking oil
- the best food for supporting your metabolism
- the best and worst foods to help prevent cancer, inflammation, Alzheimer’s, and diabetes
- and so much more!
How to drink coffee without spiking anxiety
If you’re like me, even just the taste of coffee can trigger my caffeine symptoms and bring about my anxiety–even if it’s decaf! It’s called misattribution, and it’s HUGELY important for dealing with anxiety. Whether it’s a flavor like coffee, a queasy stomach, or clammy hands, misattribution is when our brains recognize something that has previously brought on anxiety and comes up with something to be anxious about. Hands become clammier. You get more nauseous. It’s a vicious cycle. So, I set out on a mission to make a coffee recipe that would give me all of the health benefits Dr. Li raved about while keeping my mind calm.
Not only is this coffee smoothie packed with delicious mocha frappuccino flavor, but it also includes a balance of healthy fats, fiber, and protein to create a feeling of fullness that can help reduce feelings of anxiety that are misattributed to the taste of coffee for me. For me, it was also helpful to consume coffee in a different format than what I’m used to. I hope it helps you, too!
And if you really want to start eating for anxiety, check out my Anti-Anxiety Meal Plan! It gives you everything you need (including grocery shopping lists!) to reset your system and bring your mind to a state of calm with one week of delicious recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert.
Coffee Protein Smoothie Ingredients
This coffee smoothie recipe packs some serious superfoods into your breakfast and includes the perfect ratio of plant based protein, healthy fats, and fiber. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Spinach or mixed greens: I love to make this coffee smoothie a green smoothie by sneaking in some mixed greens or spinach.
- Frozen banana: for the creamiest smoothie, use frozen banana. You just peel it, break it into chunks, and toss it in you freezer in a biodegradable freezer bag, like these from evolvetogether! (Use code LIZ10 for 10% off!)
- Pitted Medjool dates– we’re naturally sweetening this coffee protein smoothie with fiber-filled dates. I love the organic ones from Joolie’s!
- Hulled hemp hearts: hemp hearts are an excellent source of plant based protein, healthy fats and fiber! Research shows they are even great for relieving constipation and reducing inflammation. I like Manitoba Harvest.
- Avocado: half of an avocado adds a bit of heart-healthy fats and plant-based protein, plus delicious creaminess to this smoothie.
- Cacao powder: we’re making that chocolatey mocha flavor with antioxidant-rich cacao. Studies show that cacao may improve heart health, reduce inflammation, and improve mental health! I use Navitas!
- Cold coffee or cold brew: I like to make my own decaf coffee using Peet’s water processed ground coffee and cool it in the fridge! You could also use cold brew. If the flavors too strong, just dilute it with water until it’s drinkable before you blend it into the smoothie.
- Vanilla extract: real Madagascar vanilla extract is always recommended for the best flavor and nutritional value. I like Simply Organic’s!
- Fine grain sea salt: this makes all of the flavors pop! I swear by Redmond Real Salt for the most health benefits.
The best smoothie tools
- Vitamix blender
- Reusable and biodegradable freezer bags (use LIZ10 for 10% off!)
- Mason jars
- Reusable straws
How to meal prep this protein smoothie
Make this smoothie recipe as is and you’ll get two servings! So either share with a friend or save the other half in a sealed mason jar for tomorrow. Smoothies last for up to 24 hours in the fridge, so it’ll be a perfect, healthy grab and go breakfast the next morning!
How do you soften dates for smoothies?
If you don’t have a high powered blender, you’ll need to soften the dates before you add them to your blender. It’s super easy, though. Just soak your pitted dates in a cup of warm water for 5-10 minutes before you make your smoothie. That’s it!
More protein smoothie recipes you’ll love:
Healthy Starbucks Pink Drink Smoothie
Healthy Chocolate Chai Smoothie
The Ultimate Constipation-Busting Green SmoothiePrint
Vegan Chocolate Coffee Protein Smoothie
- 2 cups spinach or mixed greens
- 1 frozen banana
- 3 pitted Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup hulled hemp hearts
- 1/2 an avocado
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 cups cold coffee or diluted cold brew
- a splash of vanilla extract
- a pinch of fine grain sea salt
- Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth. Pour into two glasses because this recipe serves 2. Share with a friend or save one for tomorrow! Enjoy!