Introducing another healthy recipe that’s based off a classic food we all love. This one was HIGHLY requested, and I think I nailed it. You’ve got all of that savory umami flavor that’s in a Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup, but we’ve gotten rid of the dairy, and added in a ton of polyphenol-rich fresh rosemary and thyme, which add not only health benefits but also the brightest, best flavor. And that’s not even the beginning of what’s to love about this Healthy Cream of Mushroom Soup.
Healthy Cream of Mushroom Soup ingredient breakdown
Honestly, one of the best parts about this recipe is that it’s not that much more time-consuming than heating up a can of soup—really! There are limited ingredients and you likely already have some (if not, most) of them on-hand. I consider hemp hearts and arrowroot pantry staples, but if you don’t, that’s just fine because they’re totally optional in this recipe.
Blending half the broth-and-spices mixture with hulled hemp hearts makes this Healthy Cream of Mushroom soup super creamy, but again, you can definitely skip that step if you don’t have the hemp hearts or you don’t have a blender (or you don’t feel like using your blender). Arrowroot also helps with that SUPER thick and creamy element, and it’s one of my favorite foods for helping soothe and heal the gut-lining.
Other than that, there’s obviously a lot of mushrooms (about 2 cups) in the recipe, but zero cream. Instead, this soup gets its creamy broth from a blend of coconut milk and veggie broth, plus a few of my favorite spices: garlic, thyme, and rosemary. Besides that you just need avocado oil (or your oil of choice), a yellow onion, and salt and pepper. That’s it!
Use this recipe just like the OG Cream of Mushroom
I know people use the OG Cream of Mushroom as a base for casseroles, dips, and more, and I’ve got you, fam—just freeze this soup in ice cube trays, then transfer to a freezer bag and you can defrost one at a time when you want to add a pop of umami to dishes.
Other classic food re-makes
This definitely isn’t the first classic food I’ve given a healthy makeover to. For more delicious, better-for-you foods, try:
- Healthy Chili’s Southwestern Egg Rolls (Vegetarian, Dairy-Free Option)
- Healthy Starbucks Iced Lemon Loaf (Grain-Free, Refined Sugar-Free)
- Healthy Starbucks Pumpkin Loaf (Grain-Free, Refined Sugar-Free)
- Healthy Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars (Gluten Free, Vegan Option)
- Twix Protein Bites (Grain Free, Gluten Free, Protein-Packed, Paleo, Vegan)
- Healthy Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana (Dairy Free, Veggie-Packed, Optionally Vegan)
What classic food should I give a makeover to next?? Let me know in the comments below, or DM me on Insta.
Watch it being made!
Enjoy, and tag me if you make it on Instagram (@lizmoody)—I can’t wait to see!Print
- Drizzle of avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh brown mushrooms (cremini, button, shiitake, etc.), sliced (about 2 cups)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot, stirred into 2 tablespoons of water to make a slurry (you can omit if you don’t have, it’ll just be a bit less thick!!)
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 1 13.5 ounce can coconut milk (full-fat or low-fat!)
- 1/4 cup hulled hemp hearts (you can omit, it’ll just have less protein!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, warm oil on medium high. Sauté onion with a shake of salt for 2 to 3 minutes, until just beginning to brown.
- Add mushrooms, another shake of salt, and cook until brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, rosemary, coconut milk, and broth and bring to simmer. (Optional: If using hemp for a creamier soup that’s higher in protein, transfer roughly half to a blender and add hemp hearts, blend until smooth, and return to pot with the other half of the soup).
- Reduce heat to low, stir in your arrowroot slurry, and let thicken slightly. Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with more fresh herbs. Serves 2!! Enjoy!
Keywords: healthy cream of mushroom soup