Homemade healthy popcorn seasoned with everything but the bagel for a flavorful and healthy late night snack you’ll love! This delicious healthy popcorn recipe is easy to make and might just be your new go-to popcorn flavor. It’s also the perfect easy healthy appetizers for your dinner part or for after work snack to hold you over until dinner.
Flash back to Zack and I’s wedding day (we spill ALL our wedding favorites and regrets on this podcast episode). Luckily, this story is a total wedding favorite. I created three popcorn flavors around 5 a.m. on the morning of our ceremony, sending my dad to Whole Foods as soon as it opened for ingredients to give to the caterers (future brides: I do not recommend this).
We wanted the popcorn snacks on the tables to represent each of the three places we’d lived: We did a Brick Lane Curry Popcorn (for the famous Indian-cuisine filled street in London), a Napa Valley Lavender Vanilla Popcorn (for one of my favorite parts of California, and how fresh and fragrant it always feels) and a Murray’s Everything Bagel Popcorn (named for one of the best places to get a bagel in NYC). They were all incredibly delicious, but the Everything Bagel stole my heart, and that of our guests, so I thought I’d share it with you lovely people.
You might be thinking, “popcorn at a wedding? That’s different.” What can I say? I’m a sucker for snacks. For as long as I can remember, I’ve been drawn to anything I can eat with my fingers, either by pulling it apart into tiny pieces (something Zack endlessly mocks me for) or because – even better – it’s naturally a bite-sized delight. As a kid, I munched on Cinnamon Toast Crunch like chips so much that, as an adult, I had to make a healthy, grain free version of it because I was no longer willing to eat artificial flavors or colors.
If you’ve had my everything bagel crackers or my cheesy rosemary popcorn, you’re going to be obsessed with the flavors and texture of this recipe that we served on our wedding day.
Ingredients in healthy popcorn
Popcorn is a whole grain, and not in a “this loaf of bread is made from whole grains” type of way. It’s a single-ingredient, actual whole grain packed with fiber. It helps keep you full. It helps you poop. It helps you enjoy a movie night so much more. It’s also coated with superfood spices to help with weight loss, balance blood sugar, and even relieve IBS. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Un-popped popcorn kernels
- Coconut oil, ghee or avocado oil (for popping)
- Melted ghee or olive oil
- Sesame seeds
- Onion powder or dried onion flakes (flakes is better)
- Poppy seeds
- Garlic powder or dried garlic flakes (flakes is better)
- Caraway seeds
- Course sea salt
Healthy everything bagel popcorn in two easy steps
- Pop the popcorn. Heat coconut oil in a large pot and add un-popped popcorn kernels Coat the kernels in the oil by shaking them in the pot with the lid on. Cook them over medium heat until popcorn kernels have popped.
- Spice the popcorn. Add olive oil or ghee and the everything bagel spices and shake vigorously until the popcorn is well-coated. Enjoy!
More healthy late night snacks to try:
Glucose-Friendly Cookies & Cream Cookie Dough Bites
Chocolate Covered Cookie Dough Cups
Healthy Ben & Jerry’s Copycat Chunky Monkey Smoothie
5-Minute Crispy Enchilada Tortilla PizzaPrint
The Healthiest Everything Bagel Popcorn
- Yield: 5 cups 1x
- 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, ghee or avocado oil (for popping)
- 3 tablespoon melted ghee or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon onion powder or dried onion flakes (flakes is better)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder or dried garlic flakes (flakes is better)
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon course sea salt
- In a large pot with a lid, heat coconut oil over medium for 1 minute, then add un-popped popcorn kernels. Place the lid on top and shake a bit to make sure kernels are well coated, then cook over medium heat, without touching, until popcorn kernels have popped, and popping has slowed to one or two pops every few seconds.
- Remove from the heat and add olive oil or ghee and all spices, then place lid back on and shake vigorously for about 10 seconds, or until all popcorn is well-coated. Enjoy!
Psst – want even more popcorn? Check out this “Cheesy” Rosemary Popcorn, with a glowing skin inducing secret ingredient!