Delicious grain free crackers made with almond flour, flax seeds, and homemade everything bagel seasoning. You just need 3 ingredients to make these crunchy healthy crackers for the perfect low carb, high protein snack. This grain free recipe is perfect for vegan, paleo, and keto diets and is perfect to dip into your favorite hummus or guacamole.
I’ve always found it kind of crazy to buy almond flour crackers from the store. They’re so expensive, and they’re one of the easiest recipes to make at home.
I make this healthy cracker recipe A LOT for so many occasions, like when we’re:
- on the road traveling for nomad life (keep up to date on our travels here!)
- hiking in the national parks (check out all my hiking travel guides here!)
- having a charcuterie picnic with friends while playing the HT Conversation Deck
That’s because these everything bagel grain free crackers are, well, everything. I have a nut and seed version in my Healthier Together Cookbook, which pairs with my carrot tartar with crispy capers recipe (it’s addictive). But I wanted to experiment with an even easier version, one that you could make quickly with just few ingredients in one bowl. Happy to report, I nailed it.
These crackers are crispy, crunchy, perfectly savory and utterly delicious. In this recipe, I used the homemade everything bagel seasoning that you might remember from my everything bagel popcorn recipe. If you’re looking to serve these crackers as healthy party snacks, pair it with season hummus, like this restaurant-style hummus in summer, this herby spring pea hummus in spring, and this butternut squash hummus in fall.
Everything you’ll need to make grain free crackers
The best part about these almond flour crackers are that they’re so EASY and use all clean ingredients. It’s low carb, high protein, and packed with plant based protein and healthy fats. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Almond flour: this heart-healthy gluten free flour is essentially just ground up almonds, so it’s proven to contain most of the almond’s health benefits, like lowering cholesterol and being high in fiber.
- Flax seeds: flax seeds are high in protein and fiber and low in carbs, and have been shown to be a beneficial ingredient in anti-inflammatory recipes.
- Seasonings: fine grain sea salt, onion powder, and everything bagel seasoning are all you’ll need to bring make these crackers addictive.
Customize this healthy cracker recipe
I have a feeling you’ll be obsessed with the flaky onions, crunchy sea salt, and toasty sesame seeds from my everything bagel seasoning, but you can use whatever seasoning you like. Just follow the same steps and swap out the everything bagel seasoning for your flavor of choice. I actually think healthy ranch seasoning, taco seasoning, or nutritional yeast would be delicious!
How to make homemade crackers
Making your own homemade grain free crackers from scratch might seem intimidating, but I promise it’s super simple. All you need for kitchen tools is some parchment paper, two large baking sheets, and a rolling pin (a wine bottle works here too!)
- Make the dough. Start by mixing all of the ingredients except for the everything bagel seasoning in a bowl so that a big ball forms.
- Roll it out. You’ll want to roll out the dough on a lined baking sheet and covered with parchment paper (so it doesn’t stick to your rolling pin) until it’s cracker-thin. Then, add the seasonings evenly across the cracker dough.
- Bake and flip. Once you bake the cracker square for 15 minutes on one side, then cover it with parchment paper and second baking sheet, carefully flip it so the crackers are on the new lined baking sheet, and bake again for another 15 minutes. Then, cut the large cracker into smaller squares. Reduce the heat and continue place them back in the oven for 30 minutes until crispy.
To keep these crackers fresh, store them in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to a week.
More healthy roadtrip snacks to try:Print
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseeds
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (optional, but recommended for extra flavor)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons of everything bagel seasoning, store-bought or homemade
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together all of the ingredients except for the everything bagel seasoning in a bowl until a big ball forms. Let it rest for10 minutes.
- Place the ball in the middle of the sheet and cover it with an additional sheet of parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to roll out the ball until the dough is cracker thin (it won’t rise). Remove the top piece of parchment and set it aside (but don’t throw it away—you’ll need it later!)
- Sprinkle the rolled-out dough with the everything bagel seasoning.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, cover with the reserved sheet of parchment paper and another baking sheet, then carefully flip, so the large cracker ends up top-side down on a new baking sheet. Return to the oven for 15 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and reduce the heat to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut the large cracker into evenly sized cracker squares. Space out the crackers a bit so they’re not touching each other. Return to the oven for 30 minutes, until crispy. Serve or save for later!